MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
USDM never got a GEN3 3SGTE.

You are probably better off doing the mods to the upper limit of the OEM ECU then if you feel that's not enough then you can go aftermarket ECU and you will already have the supporting mods to go higher than that. Seems like the best way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought the usdm was a 3gen....I think I might just do the turbo intake and exhaust...maybe a cam with springs

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
There is REV and GEN. Sometimes GEN gets used for both engine and car. REV or Revision is the car and GEN or Generation is the engine.

USDM
MY 91(92) REV1 GEN2 3SGTE with EGR and round Fuel Pump Resistor Relay plug
MY 93 REV2 GEN2 3SGTE with EGR and square Fuel Pump Resistor Relay plug
MY 94(95) REV2 GEN2 3SGTE with EGR and square Fuel Pump Resistor Relay plug. The same as the MY 93.

JDM is
REV1 89-91 GEN2 3SGTE without EGR and round Fuel Pump Resistor Relay plug
REV2 92-93 GEN2 3SGTE without EGR and square Fuel Pump Resistor Relay plug
REV3 94-mid 96 GEN3 3SGTE
REV4 mid 96 to 97 GEN3 3SGTE
REV5 98-99. GEN3 3SGTE

You still have the AFM but you can add a pod filter for sound and an exhaust will open up some power. Doing a cam normally needs a tune so stick with the stock ones for now. They won't really gain you enough without setup up a tune to support the change. You can add a boost controller, an FCD and then you'll be able to add more power safely. The CT26 on the GEN2 3SGTE is a little bit weak and too higher boost levels can break it or it just starts pumping hot air. Upgrading the intercooler is a good idea too. When I say weak, I mean, 20+ PSI and the ceramic shaft can start to break. At that level the engine is normally not going to hold out and you will run out of fuel. The composite head gaskets don't like too much pressure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok that will work then....that will definitely free up some budget room....how much do you think bolt one would get me...around 250ish maybe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the info...I'm just gonna due my wrenching and try and find a tuner and run whatever stand-alone they are comfortable with

21 - 29 of 29 Posts