MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
300whp is the accepted figure for stock ECU. Once you get above this value fueling and turbo needs to be improved which the OEM ECU can't cope with. Getting a Tuner won't help as they cannot change ECU parameters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what's I get to the 300 mark a stand-alone will be needed...any recommendations for a stand alone...I'll be tuning myself

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
There are lots of different models available along with different prices & features. Link, Motec, AEM, Megasquirt, Haltech, ProEFI, etc.
I like the Megasquirt because its more DIY related.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
The LINK Plugin can also be installed within the stock ECU housing. If you're in CALI or some other place where not having a "stock" set up will be an issue this is huge. Pull back the carpet in the trunk and "Yes sir Mr. SMOG Guy, that's the stock ECU. See the wiring harness is plugged directly into it."

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
^^ yes there are several models that do that now. Not hard to adapt a stock set-up while remaining in stealth mode.
Like I said earlier we are spoiled for choice I the aftermarket EMS market. Need to talk to other users and put pen to paper on the pros & cons vs your goals. No one shoe fits all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No emissions where I live I just wanted to know after mods how far I can run the stock ECU on a imported mr2

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The JDM ECU isn't really that much different to the USDM one expect for the EGR and some other vacuum controls. What is written about power adding for the USDM cars applies to the JDM cars too. Sure you start with 25 more PS than the USDM car but it all still applies.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wasn't sure on how much of a difference the tunes really were
They won't be the same but we have JDM engines here and the same thing applies to them when trying to modify for more power. They have the same injectors, same turbo, same intercooler, same AFM. They have the same limitations and strong points as each other. Wiring isn't identical and an 89-91 and 92-93 have different ECUs too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The ECU from an ST-185 Carlos Sainz/RC Celica will run the stock MR2 3S-GTE with more aggressive timing and fueling but your harness would have to be re-pinned. It is an upgrade but by the time you find/pay/ship one it'll cost you more than it's worth. The differences aren't that so great that you wouldn't be far better served by buying a modern standalone ECU. That being said, I do have one in my Celica and it made 228whp/244lb ft on a "stock" run on a Mustang dyno @ 1bar of boost. I've got a dyno chart here fro the second run which shows 217/244. The final run that day was the 228whp run after we cleaned up a boost leak we found on the dyno.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ECU from an ST-185 Carlos Sainz/RC Celica will run the stock MR2 3S-GTE with more aggressive timing and fueling but your harness would have to be re-pinned. It is an upgrade but by the time you find/pay/ship one it'll cost you more than it's worth. The differences aren't that so great that you wouldn't be far better served by buying a modern standalone ECU. That being said, I do have one in my Celica and it made 228whp/244lb ft on a "stock" run on a Mustang dyno @ 1bar of boost. I've got a dyno chart here fro the second run which shows 217/244. The final run that day was the 228whp run after we cleaned up a boost leak we found on the dyno. View attachment 71407
Which stand-alone do you use...can it work on a jdm 2nd Gen motor to....I know you have to make it obdii

·
Registered
44 Posts
Which stand-alone do you use...can it work on a jdm 2nd Gen motor to....I know you have to make it obdii
That's not on a standalone. That's a JDM RC Homologation car's ECU. It was shipped on one of 5000 special editions, essentially. I'm more of a max-out-the-stock-fuel-system-and-ECU kind of owner. I don't need more than 300whp out of my Celica or my MR2. So, I'm not at all the guy to suggest which standalone you should consider.
It just seemed like you wanted to know what a "JDM ECU" would do on an otherwise stock car, so I posted my dyno sheet from my "stock" run with, perhaps, the best JDM ECU available in the very early 1990's. The only mod it had at the time I swapped it was a larger FMIC instead of the stock W2A but that was for the future potential. I probably wasn't making any extra power because of it. The stock MR2 intercooler setup is way worse than a Celica's, however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm getting ready to pick up my imports mr2 and they sold the 93 so I'll get one of there 91s so it will end up changing my build idea a bit

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
There isn't much difference in a 93 to a 91 so why does that change your build idea? Remember the years for JDM do not match the USDM cars so take a closer look.
JDM is
REV1 89-91
REV2 92-93 Upgraded brakes and suspension front and rear. Engine is still very much the same.
REV3 94-mid 96 Kouki Lights and rear wing with the GEN3 3SGTE.
REV4 mid 96 to 97
REV5 98-99.
Ignoring the fact that the change overs normally occurred in November or December bar the REV3-4 change that's it in a nut shell.

Even USDM has some different years for different parts. REV1 was 91-92 REV2 was 93 and REV3 was 94-95 although the actual build years are a year before.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
When did they switch to obdii in japan
They never did for the SW20 MR2 for any market. OBDII only applies to GEN4 and 5 3SGTE swaps that came from a Caldina. And the GEN4 and 5 3SGE but that's a less common swap. GEN5 3SGE from the Altezza are really hard to mount due to the cam belt arrangement. I guess the BEAMS redtop in the JDM only REV5 G-LIMITED had a form of OBDII but I don't know enough about it to comment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts