MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonderful. This just drives another nail in my wanting to continue with MKI's. I was driving the other day and heard a knocking. So now I think I have a rod knocking. So i'm not going to fix it. I'm just going to park it until I can order another one from Jarco. I have already replaced the head gasket twice. I've about had it with this engine. A part of me wants to just give up. But the other part love the little unwanted car. By unwanted car I mean automatic. Most people want to make 5 speed car out of them. I like as is(except for the non-running part). I'm perplexed.

~C.C.~

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Why not inspect the bottom end and just replace the bad bearings?? I had a rod knock on my 88's NA motor when I first turboed it and it was just a spun bearing. I replaced it (just the one) and it ran and sounded right until I blew it up a month later.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
If it has not been knocking for long or very hard, then the crank surface and rod surfaces might still be clean. Then Papo J is right and it is not a hard job to change it from the bottom end by just dropping the exhaust and then the oil pan to gain access. Even if it does not last forever, it is alot cheaper and easier than an engine swap and will get you back on the road with possibly only a few hours of work into (and not many dollars either).

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
Papo J said:
I replaced it (just the one) and it ran and sounded right until I blew it up a month later.
lol.. I think he's trying to avoid the "month later" thing. :)

Just put it away and don't think about it for a month. When I was doing the MK1.5 wiring and was about to burn the car down. I walked away, went on vacation for a week, came back and finished it up in no time.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NooKa said:
ummm you could sell it and buy a 5-speed, or just replace the engine... Maybe?
Uh, but the auto is why I like it. Yeah, it's not loud yet. I'm just worried about the crank being scarred. This is just really depressing. My buddy club replica lip just came in the other day and is still leaning against the wall in the kitchen. I was hoping to start getting it ready for the hard-top conversion (which I have the top sitting in the shed) and paint.

~C.C.~

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Well the engine blow out had nothing to do with the bearing replacement. I hit 8400 rpm at 17 psi spike and the A/F gauge all the way in the red... not a good combination of things to happen. The bearing came out as good as new when I pulled it out of the engine, now pistons 2 and 3 came out in pieces or at least the ringlands did.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
GaToy said:
Uh, but the auto is why I like it. Yeah, it's not loud yet. I'm just worried about the crank being scarred. This is just really depressing. My buddy club replica lip just came in the other day and is still leaning against the wall in the kitchen. I was hoping to start getting it ready for the hard-top conversion (which I have the top sitting in the shed) and paint.

~C.C.~
Oh I'm sorry.. I misread the post, I was thinking you wanted a 5-speed. Nevermind then (nooka)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naw, I just recently sold my '87 T-top. This is my '86 moonroof. Out of all the MKI's i've driven the '86 is the most comfortable. And the auto has the best highway gear.

~C.C.~

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Papo J said:
Why not inspect the bottom end and just replace the bad bearings?? I had a rod knock on my 88's NA motor when I first turboed it and it was just a spun bearing. I replaced it (just the one) and it ran and sounded right until I blew it up a month later.
did the same thing as you... however, its a rare instance that the shaft won't be scarred up from the shot bearing/bearings... mine was, not bad enough that i didn't think it would work...

i did all that work, replaced all the bearings...

spun one again in 25 miles... (i drive like a baby too)

:( cars been sitting since...

least i have a sweet 85 :)

~mikeym

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.