MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my brother test drive it one time and he blew out third gear. So I did the right thing, and pulled the entire engine and replaced the transmission with a C52. Upon reassembly, I cannot get the car to start. Initially the grounding was bad due to a cut ground wire. Checked spark, timing (with timing light), and getting fuel. I even installed new fuel injectors and adjustable pressure regulator. Even disconnecting fuel injectors and starting with starter fluid the car will not start, it gets really close though and you can hear firing. The cylinders are showing 90 psi of compression when compression tested. The only thing changed was timing belt and water pump. Head gasket was not replaced, wasn't bad when parked. The car was running and driving for a couple of months before this.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Make sure that you set the cam timing by the book. It is possible to misinterpret the timing marks. After installing a belt, rotate the engine several turns forward to properly tension the belt and then recheck timing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, That's what me and my friend thought. we checked timing and when the key for the crank lined up with the tdc dot, it appears all is correct. I have attached the photos of what I mean. Sorry I did not remove the crank, I can do that to show key position is in line with dot, just didn't have the tools on me right now so I will do that later tonight. Thoughts? We did take the cam gears off to replace seals behind them, hence the arrows.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
So you don't have a timing belt cover on your engine? I can't tell a thing about the crank position from that picture, you really need the lower timing belt cover. Are you holding the throttle open while doing your compression test? That affects the numbers if you keep the throttle plate closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, I just realized I am stupid... I was using the wrong mark to line up crank timing... Thank you for your help.
J.Harris We had taken off of that off just for trouble shooting and no we were not flooring it, that is something that will be helpful in the future.
I think what really helped was reaching out to you guys allowed me to walk-through it a little more thoroughly. Additionally, The timing mark on the crank was so small that we assumed we were supposed to use the key on the crank (that is how they did timing on his 1985 bmw).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm glad you were able to figure it out! Was that arrow in your first pic the point you were using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Katsu, I took the gears off to replace the cam seals behind them. that arrow was to show hole in the gear the peg should go into. There are two possible positions the timing peg could go into on the gear and I didn't want to confuse them. I confused the key on the crankshaft as what I should use for timing. On the bright side, the whole fuel system and spark system is new now besides the coil ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts