MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota will be making a new mr2 or a new supra.
It is common knowledge that a company building an exciting sportscar wich apeals to the public builds up it's brand-name that way.
The mr2 for example, was the car that established toyota's name in the usa and europe, just as the rx7 did for mazda, and the crx for honda.

Now toyota is a very sane company, they will allways build what they think it's potential buyers want.
But toyota also want's to compete with other company's cars, for example the supra versus the skyline or the corolla versus the civic.
For this reason toyota build the mk3 mr2 the way it is now.
And here is an explanation of "why" it is like it is, there where a lot of mr2 mk1's sold, enough for toyota to want to keep the model in it's lineup, but the mk1 started to get out of date with it's angular lines, so toyota designs the mk2.
Of the mk2 only half as much where sold compared to the mk1, therefor the mr2 was no longer available outside japan since 1995.
Toyota however does want to keep a mid engined sportscar in there lineup, so they designed the mk3.

The mk3 had to resemble the mk1 in the way it handeld, and at the same time had to rival with the mazda miata/mx5.
For this reason it has become a light weight nimble little sportscar (like the mk1) with an open top (like the miata/mx5).

But the mk3 sels even worse then the mk2, exactly half as much as the mk2 up to now.
So the mk3 is in a way only 1/4 as popular as the mk1 and half as popular as the mk2.

But still sportscars give automotive company's a good name, so therefor toyota will make us a mk4.
It will be like the mk1 (light weight, nimble) and propably a bit more in the direction of the new celica's looks.
It will propably be fitted with a 2zzge or a yet to be designed 3zzge (a 1600 cc 3zzfe with a 2zzge head).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think you're giving them more credit than you should. I think Toyota is focusing away from sports cars and marketing more towards luxury / family vehicles...then they have Scions which market to kids...but I don't think it's doing well..and for some strange reason I see middle class white collared mid-aged businessmen driving the xB.

·
Registered
545 Posts
unfortunately toyota does not need a new sports car to give themselves a good name... they've built that rep up over the past 30 years. I think the people who say that toyota is doing some serious brand structuring are correct - lexus = luxurious and sporty, toyota = safe and reliable, scion = cheap and sporty.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Eh, speculation does not get anyone any further from determining what the big boys at Toyota are going to do. Hence why I suggest we delete the whole MKIV forum area. :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Tparrotte said:
Eh, speculation does not get anyone any further from determining what the big boys at Toyota are going to do. Hence why I suggest we delete the whole MKIV forum area. :)
True. I thought this thread would involve some investigative reporting. Maybe breaking in to Toyota headquarters and finding secret MKIV info, a-la Watergate?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are forgetting one BIG thing.
Scion's are only sold in the usa, maybe in other country's as well but certanly not in europe.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
hectorcuper said:
You guys are forgetting one BIG thing.
Scion's are only sold in the usa, maybe in other country's as well but certanly not in europe.
the nameplate "scion" is only in the u.s., but the xA and xB are sold in Japan as well (tC is designed and built only for the u.s.)

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
The TC sells extremely well. At one point last year Toyota had trouble keeping up with demand. As far as the other 2 ugly ducklings, the box seems to sell alright. The Mini mini minivan looking thing not so. Completely opposite of what Toyota origonall thought would happen. I have seen pictures of the "next" Supra and it looks pretty good. Supposedly 3.5v6. MK4 MR2, I don't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts