MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHOOOO HOOO... giddy as a schoolboy... 2zz, trans, harness and ECU ship today.

I will keep everone informed and try my best to document and photograph the process. Looks like Im on my way!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
nice! i already have mine though, well in my dads 03 vibe :thumbup

if you can afford it, reprogramming the engine to engage the cams at 5500 or 5250 does wonders for the tourqe curve, in stock configuration, its one of the only engines i know that has two plateaus in its tourqe curve!

(and thats not a really good thing)

deffenetly great potential though, and i know the stock 6 speed takes atleast 260whp alright in a celi

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
After all the other swaps going on, it seems like the hardest part is wiring, especially on the newer engines. I would think the easiest way would be stand alone. I know they're expensive though. Just seems like it would be easier. Should be a fun ride though. Good luck.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
document? as if its going to be a pain in my ass? lol

obd 2 is my main concern and i tried asking a few questions about it, but was told it should be a fairly simple wire up. no more complex than the 20v.

who knows... ill be sure to keep all posted though.

though bill, what is this about the antenna and limp mode... what antenna
are you talking radio... or something for the onstar? I shouldnt have worries if your referring to the onstar :p

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I think if I was going to do it I would wait til I had the money to go standalone. That way you can do away with the annoying abrupt fuel cut and maybe change the high big cam change over. They should have put it around 5000 rpm instead of 700rpm befor redline.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scottgas said:
After all the other swaps going on, it seems like the hardest part is wiring, especially on the newer engines. I would think the easiest way would be stand alone. I know they're expensive though. Just seems like it would be easier. Should be a fun ride though. Good luck.

Yeah... ill give it some thought. Stand alone may simplify... but have all the goodies comin'. I plan on giving the harness a try... if it works great... if not, i'll try again. If that doesnt work... I may resort to a standalone. Megasquirts are what... less than 300 built... under 150 to do yourself? Heck the MSD 6BTM i have on my blown jeep cost more than that... and had I known then about the Megasquirt... id be tuned much better as well.

BTW... I have a powerdyne supercharger 6lb, 24lb FMS injectors, inline fuel pump, piping, airhat, 6BTM, guage and all the goodies up for grabs. Will be sold to help the funding of this project. Blower kit will work with the 5.2/5.9 Mopar engines. It is currently powering my 5.9 Jeep Limited. Has under 8k on the blower and about 1 1/2 yrs old. ANY TAKERS If interested send me a private msg.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scottgas said:
I think if I was going to do it I would wait til I had the money to go standalone. That way you can do away with the annoying abrupt fuel cut and maybe change the high big cam change over. They should have put it around 5000 rpm instead of 700rpm befor redline.

From what i understand, this changed in the '02 and newer ecus. the 00-01's have a higher redline 8200? where as the '02 and newer are i think 7800, this keeping in the powerband with gear shifts. I believe Lotus improved by raising the rev limit 200 or 400 rpms higher to 84 or 8500 and taking the change over down 200 rpm to if I recall 5800. Lotus definately improved on the power band.

Can someone confirm the above information.

For this reason I purchased the 00 engine and components. We'll see how it does in the MKI.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Lotus added a oil cooler, and they reprogrammed it so that it wouldnt LEAVE the big cams till it got below 5800, but engagment was left at 6200

all the 2zz push till 8400(redline is listed as 8200) and shifting there actually makes the most sence, atleast on the vibes th e03 had 180hp, cams came in at 6200, but in 04 it got 8hp mysteriously knocked off(vibe only),then for 05 the matrix and the vibe had there cams changed to a even worse place 6800!and the hp got knocked down, again, to 168 were i believe its at now in the matrix (same redline) i think all the 2zzs from the celica were 180hp 6200 big cam,8400 redline type motors, so any of those are good,

BTW the engines take well to mild boosting incase you ever wanted to um, make your car supercrazy, i would think 260whp would probably still get noticably low lag with a ball bearing turbo, but im not a turbo guy(yet) sso i have no clue

its late and my english is horrible, im out!

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
The very first year for the Celica, it didn't hit the fuel cut until after redline. If I remember right the later years either hit it right at or just below redline. Sport Compact Car had problemss with this. They also mentioned that when the cam changeover happened, hp shot up like 20hp over a 500rpm range. Then bam, redline. 2nd gear is too tall, and Toyota should have lowered the changeover point quite a bit. Left redline at 8400 and fuel cut at say 8600. Celicas would have been quite a bit faster I think.

·
Registered
155 Posts
if your going mega squirt what do they have to control cam timing and the lift engagement? check out newcelica.com theres a couple people that are tuning on the pfc and sypderchat too. some good info on that standalone. although it is expensive. the tranny mount and trunk mount look like they will be really close for the swap. hurry up and start!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i honestly dont know what they have to control cam timing and lift engagement.

ottobon:

"i think all the 2zzs from the celica were 180hp 6200 big cam,8400 redline type motors, so any of those are good"

there is a difference in the 00-01's and the '02 and newer on the celica models. ... just ask the celica gts guys i was also infomed that the 02 and newer engines arent compatable with the earlier 00-01 ecu's :dontknow:. from what i have gathered, i believe the matrix and vibes followed suit of the '02 and newer celicas.

anyone have any good information or links on the compatability of the obdII system with our obdI's.

...and bill, i would like more info on this antenna thing... i dont mean to sound ignorant, but could you enlighten me...

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
powerFC seems to be used with the most success.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Good, now someone gets to see if it fits as easily as I think it does.

I know you'll have to modify that exhaust header, and I don't think that engine side mount is a direct fit. Fortunately, the passenger side cv axle looks like it will clear the exhaust manifold.

I was considering the same project. Does someone have pinouts for the 2zzge ecu?

BTW, where are you located?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.