MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at 10:20pm, I fired my MK1.5 up for the first time. Woohoo! After running the fuel pump for a minute to check for leaks, then cranking the engine for a few 10 second bursts (with injector relay removed) to get some oil flowing, I replace the injector relay and it fired right up on first turn of the key and settled into a nice idle @ 1500 rpm.

It's still on jackstands, so I just let it run and warm up so I could check the cooling system for leaks. (None so far). The ECU threw codes 24 and 35 (Intake air temp sensor in AFM, and MAP sensor). I'm using an Autometer 2-bar map sensor and I hope it's just a wiring issue. Same for the AFM temp sensor. The resistance checks out fine.

Road test report later today, hopefully!

·
No! My car is not cute!
1,776 Posts
You da man!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations!!!

I'll hopefully be joining you on the mk1.5 register in the next couple of weeks ;)

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your install!

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No test drive tonight :(. My MK2 front hubs/knuckle arms + MK2 lower control arms result in about 8-10 degrees of negative camber once the cars lowered down :O. This isn't something crash bolts will cure, so I think it's time to get some camber plates...

Oh well... this is what happens when you mess with too much stuff all at once.

·
Registered
694 Posts
thats good news indeed! im way behind myself but hope to join you real soon. Id like to check your car out some time. Let me know when you have a day off. CAll me whenever. 909 437-1580. hey kirk. i just ordered my ko down pipe the other day as well. I may be getting your motor mount inserts as well. Ill let you know!

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi quickie -
It'll be a while before it's roadworthy. I'm still sorting out front suspension geometry issues. Be advised I'm a 2 hour drive from you, even w/o traffic.

-Jim

·
Registered
653 Posts
JimKing said:
No test drive tonight :(. My MK2 front hubs/knuckle arms + MK2 lower control arms result in about 8-10 degrees of negative camber once the cars lowered down :O. This isn't something crash bolts will cure, so I think it's time to get some camber plates...
QUOTE]

Camber plates aren't going to be able to take out 7 degrees of camber. Not even close. The GC plates can take out maybe 2 or 3 degrees. You've made some big geometry changes there. Be carefull, you might have made some undesirable changes to toe and roll centre too.

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, by initially bolting up the steering arm to the BOTTOM of the steering knuckle (as it is on the MK2), you end up with normal ride height being at a horrendous part of the bump steer curve. The car is virtually undrivable!

This is because the rack on the MK2 is only about 2.75" higher than the LCA mounting point. On the MK1, the rack is about 4.5" higher than the LCA mounting point. Good thing I have a MK2 to compare to... I've been able to measure the toe change vs. suspension deflection on the MK2 to see what I should be shooting for on the MK1.

I'll be trying out the T3 camber plates soon enough. The camber numbers I gave above are just a WAG. I think (hope) the camber plates will have enough adjustability to get things back to reasonable. The MK2 LCAs in combination with the MK2 knuckle arms increase track about 1/2" per side, IIRC, so if the camber plates can move close to that much I should be ok.

·
Registered
694 Posts
2 hour drive will be no problem. let me know when it gets road worthy so you can give me a ride. just dont forget about me!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts