MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm attempting to install koni yellows into my struts, The inserts appear to be too long, I cannot get any thread engagement with the gland nut when they're inserted into the strut housing. I browsed the forums and some people were saying to grind the bottom of the strut in order to make it fit. I'm wary of doing that since its a pressurized cylinder. Has anyone done this job/know what im doing wrong? Heres a link to a vid for clarity:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you look carefully at the instructions that came with the shocks, you will see an illustration that shows how to measure the length that the overall shock needs to be. The nipple on the bottom is designed to be trimmed, but you need to do it according to the instructions so the gland nut threads appropriately. And as I recall, the illustration shows different configurations for the shock bottom, so you need to pay attention to that as well.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Front and rears are slightly different. IIRC the rears are shorter than the front, but could be the other way round. If you have all 4, the pairs are probably mixed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I checked the part number, the part number is correct for the fronts. I haven't taken the rears off the car yet so I cant verify. On another note, does anyone know any decent lowering springs? I purchased some eibachs off of amazon but they were listed incorrectly, and don't fit my car. It appear the eibach pros for AW11s are discontinued now.

·
Registered
AW11b - 4AGE - C161 6speed trans
31 Posts
never seen this done. wouldn't think this is advisable and probably voids warranty.
The weird thing is, it's what KONI suggest you would do for the AW11 (I know, I called them). In a lot of cases the insert is to tall and you can grind a few mm of the nub. There seem to be 2 marginaly different struts, so they made that stub. It seems to be what it's there for.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The weird thing is, it's what KONI suggest you would do for the AW11 (I know, I called them). In a lot of cases the insert is to tall and you can grind a few mm of the nub. There seem to be 2 marginaly different struts, so they made that stub. It seems to be what it's there for.
News to me. I've been through 2 sets across 3 AW's and a set for my SW and even had a warranty replacement. Never noticed it on the instructions myself but cannot say I've read them through. Every time they just dropped in and worked. I have a set of aw fronts still in the box somewhere... I'm going to have to look next time I see them. All my AW's were early, 2x'86 and an '85

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I'm attempting to install koni yellows into my struts, The inserts appear to be too long, I cannot get any thread engagement with the gland nut when they're inserted into the strut housing. I browsed the forums and some people were saying to grind the bottom of the strut in order to make it fit. I'm wary of doing that since its a pressurized cylinder. Has anyone done this job/know what im doing wrong? Heres a link to a vid for clarity:
Check the bottom of the strut tube for a previously installed shim or other obstruction.

·
Registered
89' sw11b -black deuce
18 Posts
Trimmed mine per instructions, perfect fit and rides amazing on ibach pro springs and polyurethane bushings! Also instructions recommended not adjusting to maximum stiffness. I have mine a 1/4 turn from full stiff- on 15x9 wheels and 205/50r15 continentals. Holds the corners like a slot car!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Product Font Material property Handwriting Book

Yeah.... found them. IDK if these have changed in the last decade but as far as "instructions" go.... I do see where it SHOWS where to trim now but as far as having the instruction directly SAY that you can... Never been good with pictographic instructions. Much prefer text or the combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts