MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To some in this forum, MK1b owners, that might seem like a stupid question. I always see people saying to just go by the BGB, which I do. I own an '86 NA MR2 and use an '86 BGB. I noticed that in my BGB there is no mention of using torque angle for the head bolts. The specs in my BGB only mention to gradually torque it down to 44ftlb. That's it. The '88 BGB however says to torque it down to 22ftlb, 90 degrees, then 90 again. I have seen a few really old forum posts that only briefly mention this, but wanted to know if any MK1a owners have a say in this topic. Should I use the '88 torque specs because it is newer and thus better to use, or use the original '86 specs because I own an '86? What do you all think? I am of course only talking about OEM head bolts, not aftermarket, nor studs. Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Genrally TTA is more accurate since you are snugging the bolt with the initial torque then stretching it a bit with the angle.
When you are torquing to degree you are reliant on the torque wrench to be sensitive enough to yield.
It really depends on the application but most OEM's (subaru, lexus, etc) use TTA.
I have been running the 86 torque ratings on 7 lbs of boost and no problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts