MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is what sounds like pinging to me at full throttle right around the 4k rpm range. This only happens underload, which also leads me to suspect pinging. I tried adjusting the ignition timing to solve the pinging (I even put in 91 octane gas just to see) but the sound remains. I'm wondering if my distributor is off a tooth. I tend to think it isn't because the car runs great within the range of the distributor currently. If I turn the dizzy all the way to the left I lose serious low end power, although the high end is good. All the way to the right seems okay, but the best seems somewhere in the middle. I know you'll all say I should do this, but no, I haven't set the timing properly with a light. There are problems (it is a jdm engine without the proper markings, etc...) so I haven't gotten to it yet.
I'm surprised that I can't eliminate this sound by playing with the dizzy and the testing under load. I'm wondering if it isn't in fact pinging, but something else vibrating just in the frequency range near 4k rpms. The sound however does match the description of pinging: it sounds like little bits of metal bouncing around. It sounds also sort of like a bunch of metal washers bouncing against each other....long post lol...ANy suggestions? Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
is this a NA motor? if your pumping 91 and have adjusted the dizzy on many times to each side I think your problem is more then pinging or detonation

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jared said:
tvis plates activate at 4000 rpm right?
The tvis opens around 4250, or somewhere around there. Now that you mention it, this sound ends right around where the tvis opens.
Do the butterfly plates open gradually or immediately? Could it be a process that is somehow related to the sound I'm hearing? Thanks for mentioning that Jared.

·
Moroccan Gold Imports
1,694 Posts
on my old sc I could hear a similar sound after installing a TRD header. Almost a ticking but metallic-sounding as you describe. I worried it was pinging forever but literally EVERYTHING checked out, and this was a sub-30k mile mint mint car. Everyone else who rode in it told me it was fine and that I was nuts.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
So you have the intake mod done right?

I think I know the sound you're talking about.... Every 4age I've heard with a intake does that... Here's a quote from padandwheels.com -

"Results after doing this include faster revving & a louder note from the engine above 3000 rpm and this mod has been dyno'd (not by me and my setup though) and showed about a 5HP peak increase in the upper rpm band. One thing I did notice, is that there is a slight buzzing from the intake between 4000-4200 rpm. Nothing to worry about though, it's just resonate frequency being induced into the system from removing the factory resonator box."

I wouldn't worry about it, the stock airbox uses a resonator so I'd say its completely normal.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,335 Posts
Yes, if you have the intake mod, it will sound somewhat like detonation just before the TVIS opens up. It's normal. If you have real detonation, you'd probably having pinging after the TVIS opens up too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.