MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this supra with a 3sgte in it. I took a look at the engine picture and it looked real enough to me but i wanted to place it under your discerning eye(the board).

http://www.suprastore.com/topsecsuport.html

First of all quite a bit of claimed power out of our engine and secondly why would you swap in a 3sgte over a 2jz? I would think the 2jz would more reliably make that kind of power.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
yes it makes for a much lighter car, handle better and it has been modded to hell

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
where can i get that 6 speed tranny :p

btw ... tripple plate os giken .... ? never known that os giken sold tripple plates for the 3sgte.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
lots of those are most likely one off parts made for that specific car (110 grand it better have some special parts in it) they used the 3SGTE in the GT500 cars in the late 90s and early 00s it can be mounted muuch lower and farther back in the chassis and the obvious weight savings, while at the same time easily making the 500 hp limitation of the class.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
was it mounted back far enough to make it mid engine ;). in the sense of how s2000 and rx-7 are "mid engine". if so that must make for some remarkable handling changes.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
tred said:
yes it makes for a much lighter car, handle better and it has been modded to hell
Not so much lighter (which that is one of the reasons of this swap) but they are able to mount the engine much farther back in the engine bay creating a closer 50/50 wieght distribution and a lower center of gravity.

I have seen this car do a top speed run on the High Octane videos and it ran over 200mph. It's pretty crazy.

EDIT: Just saw a post right below tred's and see that he gave the same answer. I really need to start reading all of the posts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking at the engine pictures and specification, I believe this engine is very peaky, It's has a Trust T88-34D(!) and looks like a Veilside 100mm throttle body.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
are there any t88 user on this board ? ;)
really curious to the lag .
i bet that turbo wont make any pressure before it hits 6000 rpm

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Granted it is a 2.2L but even still the T-88 is f'in huge. I guess they wanted to ind of keep the supra theme and go with a turbo that is regularly used on the supras. haha.

·
Registered
577 Posts
that car is used on track days here in norway! :)
i was`s bought last summer!

when i saw it here in norway there where almost no lag!?!?! (but it caught fire when the WG fell of!!!!! can see if i find some video or pics of it!)

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
If anyone can get a hold of the september(i think) 2001 issue of super street, they give all the details on this car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
as stated above the car was sold to a norwegian owner last year, and the new owner showed it off at a large track day event in september, just a few days after the car came to the country. From what i have seen of video footage of that day the engine doesn't seem extremely laggy. The car is currently on display at my local Toyota dealership, i tried reading the information plate on the turbo but it was a bit difficult to read at an angle, that turbo is huge. The car is supposedly geared for speed and 6th gear is so tall it's practically useless.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
btw .... i looked aggain
but i didnt see anything like pistons .. rods .. bearings .. valves .. manifolds .. etc etc

this isnt a bone stock long block or is it ?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I believe Garage Fuki is the same as Phoenix Power (SPL) Also built a stupid fast red MR2 with a front mount intercooler, and made upwards of 750+ whp.

T

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
:) I've seen that car in person.

Anyways why not run a 3sgte? its lighter than the 6cylinder, plus smokey is weird like that, luckily he had not put an RB26DET in it!

About the clutch? you can make any flywheel have the same size pad as what kind of clutch your running. I still find it amazing that they got the Supra down to 2700 lbs, it seems impossible for us to get 100 lbs off our cars sometimes.

this is the NA VQ motor after the show (autosalon) with 450whp!

·
Registered
741 Posts
It has run in New Zealand before, made 298kph @ 4th gear (cannot go into 5th nor 6th), and smokey has put a RB26DETT in a Supra too, and bought that over to New Zealand and that ran 300kph+....... in the rain.

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
yeah and gotten arrested there and in europe too... I was so pleased when I got to shake his hand and have my photo taken with him! His shop is small (to buy parts) but it was full of the BEST parts avaliable. To bad all he really deals with now is RB and VQ motors now.

Jeff

·
Registered
741 Posts
OMG I shaked his hand too, that means...... we touched! oh mi gosh!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts