MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might just be paranoid. I haven't driven a ton of turbo cars, but it seems to me that my turbo doesn't sound quite right. It sounds like a normal turbo at first and then the sound gets a lot more harsh. It sounds like it's working too hard or something. It's louder and less airy. Unfortunately that's pretty much the best I can do to describe it. I do have a video recording of the noise, but I'm at work right now and wanted to get this posted while I had some time. I guess the only question I can really ask right now and get a good answer to is: is the ct26 supposed to sound different/more harsh than most other turbos? like I said, I might just be paranoid. I know I have a clogged cat, so I pretty much always stay out of boost until I can get that fixed, but I have a certain significant other who likes to get on it every now and again. He didn't think it sounded abnormal until I said something about it and now we're both worried. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
A "turbo" is a very simple, generally reliable piece of equipement. As long as they are fed clean oil, and the cooldown cycle is respected, they will normally give trouble performance for nearly as long as a well-cared for engine will last. And even when they begin to fail, they will usually give good performance, right up until they simply self destruct.

Most "boost problems" are either problems with the control system, or leaks in the induction system or from aftermarket BOVs.

If you really suspect a turbo problem, pull the inlet pipe off and manually/visually check it.

bill

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
k i had 2 other people listen to the video & they said it definitely sounds not good. it might not be the turbo itself, but something sounds wrong. ill do what bill suggested when i get home tonight tho. also, is there a good place to host videos so i can post it up here?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The turbo (boost, spool, etc) soound fine, but there does dound like a bearing noise toward the upper RPM. I've never heard a bad turbo bearing, but that would be my geuss. It would also be my opinion to run it until it gets worse or something noticeable starts to happen ;) . Also what AFM are you running? or are you going to recirc that BOV? :smile: :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts