MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,.. i got the gauge to work,. but sadly theres no psi,.. so that means the oil pump is bad,.. which means its probally got rod knock which means that engine is gone? or am i overreacting?

edit: something that makes me believe this more is i took the oil fill cap off and not one drop of oil shot out of there,. i did the same thing with the dipstick,. nothing but air coming out of there.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
if you take the oil cap off or the dipstick out with it running, air will come out. that is normal. USUALLY it will have a fine oil mist along with it, but no liquid oil should come out.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
shimric said:
Well,.. i got the gauge to work,. but sadly theres no psi,.. so that means the oil pump is bad,.. which means its probally got rod knock which means that engine is gone? or am i overreacting?

edit: something that makes me believe this more is i took the oil fill cap off and not one drop of oil shot out of there,. i did the same thing with the dipstick,. nothing but air coming out of there.
If you actually have zero oil presure, your engine would have a life span of maybe 2-3 minutes.

Take the OP sensor out and crank the engine. Does oil shoot out? Then your pump is working.

bill

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
shimric said:
Well,.. i got the gauge to work,. but sadly theres no psi,.. so that means the oil pump is bad,..
I think it is much safer to say the gauge is not working.
Try what Bill says if you want to use the "oil shooting method".

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
edit: nevermind im a idiot.... ill do that tomorrow ive got to go to work now. well just to let everyone know i kinda dropped the op sender yesterday,.. twice actually,.. but when i turn the key to ON the gauge jumps to zero,. then when i turn the key it drops below 0 then back to zero,. probally because the starter is taking most of the cars current and stuff...... do yall think i should move the ground closer to the sender because its at the opposite side of the block.....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will dropping the sender once on grass, and the second time on the side of the walkway mess anything up?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
shimric said:
uh! i guess i have to spend more money. great!
They joy of buy8ng a 15 year old high-perfromance sports car! :)

qwik-MR2 is correct they are not very expensive. Just buy a standard gauge, not an auto-specific oil pressure gauge.

bill

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok well i dont need one anyways,. i did that oil shooting out of op sender hole test, no oil comes out,. not even a drip or a drop. so, now can i say its the oil pump?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
shimric said:
ok well i dont need one anyways,. i did that oil shooting out of op sender hole test, no oil comes out,. not even a drip or a drop. so, now can i say its the oil pump?
shimric said:
well i took the oil pan off after a huge fight with it that lasted about 2 hours. i discovered absoutely nothing is wrong with the bearings or anything,. nothing.....
One of these things is not like the other. :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
MISTER2 said:
One of these things is not like the other. :confused:
what do you mean?

edit: im stil confused on what you ment but i manually turned the engine with a pull handle and a socket with the oil pan off, there was this sucking noise coming from the strainer and pick up tube so i assumed the oil pump did work,. when i put everything back togeather today i took off the op sender on the cyl head, started the car and no oil shot out of the hole unlike it did before so im assuming the oil pump doesnt work.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
What he's saying is if your oil pump has failed (extremely unlikely), then it really isn't possible that there is "... absoutely nothing is wrong with the bearings or anything,..." As I told you earlier,without lubrication, engine damage is almost immediate.

bill

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Someday, i'm going to get rich when I invent a device that lets you punch people in the face through the internet. No names :)

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
shimric said:
edit: im stil confused on what you ment but i manually turned the engine with a pull handle and a socket with the oil pan off, there was this sucking noise coming from the strainer and pick up tube so i assumed the oil pump did work,.

when i put everything back togeather today i took off the op sender on the cyl head, started the car and no oil shot out of the hole unlike it did before so im assuming the oil pump doesnt work.
When you put everything back together....you did add oil correct?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
shimric said:
yup i poured 4qts into the oil filler hole
...and when you performed the "oil spraying out the hole test"...were you just cranking the engine...or was it actualy running?

It will take a couple seconds for the oil pressure to build...and then start pissing out the hole.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it was running,. i waited probally 20-30 seconds before i shut it off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts