MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I mean while the motor is still in it?? :) I was doing my bi-yearly removal/cleaning of the throttle body, and I noticed that my intake runners are in really bad shape.. Black gook in there everywhere. :( I was wanting to take it off and have it dipped to clean it out, or at least clean it here at the house as best I can. I got up underneath the car, and I can see most of the bolts on the bottom, with the exception of one that is above the alternator, but I think it can be gotten to without too much trouble.. What I'm worried about is being able to get the whole apparatus out once it's unbolted. Has anyone here done this, and if so.. What are the pitfalls of the operation, if any. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
876 Posts
ya you can do it... its not terribly hard. you need to remove the fuel rail as well though to make things a lot easier, as well as disconnect about 7 electrical connections underneath and uptop because the wiring loom goes inbetween the intake manifold runners and you cant get it out unless you unplug a bunch of stuff. dont need any special tools, just the righ socket, extensions and a little bit of time and patience. you will also be disconnecting a decent amount of vacum lines, so remember where all of those go as well.

will take ya between an hour or two, but i can see upto 3-4 taking your time and labeling everything you take off. i didnt bother ot label cause i was putting a new custom mani on, so i just wriped sh't off cause i knew i would never connect it again and capped everything i needed.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
There is also a fuel hose running from the fuel rail to the cold start injector in the intake manifold that you have to remember to remove and reconnect. I almost forgot to reconnect it when I assembled my engine...would have been bad. :p

·
Registered
876 Posts
oh speaking of fuel... undo your gas cap and leave it open!!! i lost a 1/4 tank of gas because after i disconnected the fuel lines... there was still enough pressure in the tank to push fuel out all over the garage floor and i didnt notice for quite sometime =(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies... I'm going to wait for warmer weather to do this, but I just didn't know if the runner could even be taken out with the motor in the car... I saw the cold start injector in there, it was caked as well.. Makes me wonder how much better the car will run with a totally clean intake runner in it.. I do the Seafoam cleaning about twice a year too, in fact I just did it the other day when I did the TB.. I'm sure that helps a bit, but I don't think it's enough for the buildup I saw in there. Thanks again for the great info, and keep the it coming, if anyone else has some insight to this operation..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts