MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know I had my head gasket replaced, and a bunch of other work done to my engine and associated doo-dads while I was at it.

My backyard mechanic says that oil had gotten into the collant system.. He flushed it twice just with gravity (and pouring through and draining coolant).. but said I should take it somewhere and have it pressure flushed because the coolant was still coming out a bit dirty.

My question is.. now that the car is away for the winter, can I get away with just not bothering to do this until spring comes around? I start it every few weeks and let it warm up, but thats all the action it's getting. If I try to drive it anywhere it will get all salted up and rust out from under me.

Am I taking a risk not flushing the coolant 100%? Or can it wait a few months? Anyone know?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm.. er.. yes but it HAS been done.. twice.. like I said. He said to get any further I would need a power-flush (one of those big monster machines that forces coolant through the system).

The question is can I leave what little oil residue there may be in there for a couple of months.. or is it likely that its going to gum something up over time? Im not concerned about the engine overheating.. like I said it doesn't really get a chance to run. Its in storage.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
GreeBo said:
My backyard mechanic says that oil had gotten into the collant system.. He flushed it twice just with gravity (and pouring through and draining coolant).. but said I should take it somewhere and have it pressure flushed because the coolant was still coming out a bit dirty.
Most people don't know there are 4 points in our coolant system you have to flush.

On our cars there are 2 bolts under the car in the coolant lines. You can undo each bolt while you hold a garden hose in the coolant fill to create pressure. It works just fine you don't have to go spend 75-100 bucks getting it done while you can do it in your driveway.

I would still go ahead and flush it just so it won't gunk or cause any build up somewhere.

·
Registered
630 Posts
85MK1 said:
Most people don't know there are 4 points in our coolant system you have to flush.

On our cars there are 2 bolts under the car in the coolant lines. You can undo each bolt while you hold a garden hose in the coolant fill to create pressure. It works just fine you don't have to go spend 75-100 bucks getting it done while you can do it in your driveway.

I would still go ahead and flush it just so it won't gunk or cause any build up somewhere.
Be sure to flush the heater box inside the car also. This can be done by adjusting the heater controls as you use the garden hose.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm well if it wasn't -30C right now that would be an option and I appreciate the info I will probably do that on my own in the comming years.

At the moment I don't have the option of doing it myself out in the cold and snow.. so basically I can drive it 5 miles to a Mr. Lube and let them powerflush it.. or forget about it until the snow melts and I can give it a go myself. If I drive it gets salty, if I don't, the oil might gum something up.

Augh I hate winter.

Thanks for the info though gang :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Toyota and all the other shops in my area told me that the MKI can't be hooked up the machine to be power flushed. It took me about 15 shops before I could find anyone that would do it at all. That has been the biggest problem with my '86. Whoever owned it never had it flushed. I had it flushed about two years ago and it came out like mud. I replaced the radiator and the heater core. Now its about time for me to take it back and have it done again.

~C.C.~

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Make sure you've got coolant in there that can withstand the temp it will sit in so it doesn't freeze and crack anything.

In spring I would recommend flushing it as best you can. use a hose and tap water... or circulate demineralized/distilled water a few times... do what you feel you can live with. Some people get really picky and others would run lakewater & sand through it. Try to get out as much crud as you can.

Refill with coolant of a proper mix. Realize that even with the radiator drain, the 2 main coolant pipe drains, the engine block drain, and even going as far as pulling the heater pipe/front hose connection apart and draining it that there's still going to be liquid in there. I've found that AT LEAST 1/2 gal stays in there until you completely gut the car and remove every last drop. Consider this when mixing a 50/50 mix. You may have to go stronger by a bit if there's a bunch of flush water in there to equalize it. If you were in a warm climate, it wouldn't be a concern, but being in the near arctic like I am, I don't like to chance freezing. :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I was kidding. Some people will run anything through there. My gf's father is one not to care too much if the water is distilled, tap water, groundwater, or something that came off his roof into a bucket (demineralized, but dirty).

I'd go as far as running tap water through a hose into the car to flush it, but I'd drain as much as I could and refill with distilled water for a permanent fix.

You'd be surprised what kind of crap will come out of an uncared for car. I've seen stuff come out that I have no clue how it would get in there nor where it would corroding from.

The water I've hand pumped when I'm vacationing "up north" Wisconsin actually must dredge from the beach. It's actually gritty with minerals, rust, and whatever else. Yes, I drank it in a pinch. No, you can not see throgh the glass at some of the worst pumps. It actually settles out. No, I would not put that in a car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts