MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM/WAS CONSIDERING BUYING AN OIL CATCH CAN FOR MY 1991 MR2 T...HAS ANYONE DONE THIS AND DOES IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCES FOR YOU? WORTH THE MONEY OR TIME?
THANKS
DAN THOMAS

·
Registered
643 Posts
It depend on how old your engine is. My new engine and new turbo don't have any oil in the catch can after 5,000 miles ( not a single drop of oil in the catch can :( ). Old engine will smoke more (pistons rings, valve stems & cylinder wall worn= more pressure in the crank case= more oil) , so catch can will be worth it.

Ed

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
No, it doesn't really matter how old the engine; there will be some oil mists discharged from the crancase vent on a brand new engine.

The only purpose/advantage of a catchcan is to reduce the buildup of insulating oily deposits inside the IC. I guess I wold suggest you look inside your IC to determine if you think a catchcan would be appropriate.

A catch can is NOT a solution for a worn engine.

bill

bill

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Don't expect too much from a catch can. Here is a situation in which the owner removed the large PCV hose and ran it for a while with a filter, venting the crankcase to atmosphere:

Byron said:
I would be greatly surprised if you actually get less oil in the intake tract with the filter. I would like for you to try the filter for a few months and let us know if it kept any oil out of the intake.
mr20nza said:
After trying this for a few months, there seems to be no difference between recirculating the PCV pipe or venting it to the atmosphere (K&N breather filter sustained at a height above the valve cover). Today I checked the IC pipe from the IC--->TB. When I added the K&N breather filter and vented the EGR pipe, I cleaned out the IC pipes very well, not a bit of oil remained.

The oil remains after removing the IC pipe from the IC-->TB look identical compared to when I removed it before I was venting the PCV. Therefore... I see no reason why this modification is beneficial if it doesn't hold back oil from entering the intake and piping... either that, or I simply have leaky turbo seals. But either way, I saw no difference in oil build up, it simply remained the same.
It is highly possible to still get oil in the intake tract, even if you eliminate the possibility for it to enter the intake stream through the PCV. The same blow by that may be pushing oil out the PCV hose will also push oil through the turbo compressor "seal."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts