MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard rumors of people getting out of tickets when there is an error on the citation.

I was hoping someone here could help me. I received a citation on 11/09/09 for an illegal u-turn(California vehicle code 22101) in Ripon right by the hwy 99
on the citation my notice to appear in Tracy court was 12/19/09 which was a Saturday, and the courts in Tracy are not open Saturday. When i appeared the Thursday prior on 12/17 i asked the citation be dismissed due to the fact that the the ticket had an error.

The judge said if i can find proof that it should be dismissed because of this he will dismiss it. My new court date with trial is on 1/27/10

I have searched so many places and cannot find anything about invalid citations.
Does anyone here know of anyplace i can find this information?
any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
So.. you made an illegal U-turn, got busted for it, and the officer put the wrong date on it? They corrected it and issued you a new date?

I don't see where it's invalid any longer. Maybe the judge thinks you mean you didn't make an illegal u-turn and says if you can prove it you're home free.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
just bend over and take it....
the only times I actually seen it happen is when the officer wrote down the worng vehicle code violation, AND was not at court to contest it.

Just because he worte down the worng date will not dissmis it. Heck, if you go to court with that as your only excuse, I'll bet the Judge will make you pay more for wasting his time.

good luck buddy, if you haven't had a ticket with in 1 year you can do traffic school and get it off your record. That would keep insureance down too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mr.ac said:
just bend over and take it....
the only times I actually seen it happen is when the officer wrote down the worng vehicle code violation, AND was not at court to contest it.

Just because he worte down the worng date will not dissmis it. Heck, if you go to court with that as your only excuse, I'll bet the Judge will make you pay more for wasting his time.

good luck buddy, if you haven't had a ticket with in 1 year you can do traffic school and get it off your record. That would keep insureance down too.

This is exactly what I mean. if I had showed up on that Saturday the court would have been closed and I would have missed my notice to appear date, and then had more problems. stupid Tracy court only sees new citations on Thursdays and Fridays, the other days of the week are for trials.

Yes I did what the officer cited me for I am looking for a loophole.
That is why I am asking if anyone knows any civil code or anything that would make it invalid

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Good luck with your loophole.

You broke the law. Got busted. Officer made a mistake on the date not the offense.

The judge will probably laugh at you when he finds out you're trying to get out of that using the date as leverage. It even makes me laugh. Good luck...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i referenced vehicle code 40500 and 40501 emphasizing the ticket has specific details including a details about the person, vehicle and officer, and a specific notice to appear date. I also noted that if any of these details are incorrect on the citation it is no longer valid, and should be dismissed. And it was dismissed in the interest of justice.
while my trial was set in January and the officer did show up the judge issued a continuance for a new date in late march, so he could further research the 40500 vehicle code. When I returned in march another kid tried fighting his ticket with the same situation, and same rational for wanting his ticket dismissed, however he did not reference the 40500 vehicle code and was found guilty. I was called up shortly after, while the kid was waiting for his paperwork, and my case was dismissed. it is imperative that you reference this vehicle code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts