MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here, since my MR2 has been relatively good without issues.

That is until recently though. I took the car our for a drive and I hit boost in 1st gear. Then all of a sudden the car feels and sounds like a tractor. I guess it sounded more like a subaru haha. I was able to drive the car back to my place but could barely get up this hill near my place. I also noticed that the car smelled a lot like gas. I turned on the car right after, and it sounded fine again. I even gave it gas and it sounded okay. That night I ordered new sparkplug wires and spark plugs. My old apartment building had a mice problem, so they ended up chewing on the wires pretty good.

Anyway, yesterday I install the wires and spark plugs and it seems to idle fine now. 2 things I noticed is that spark plug #2 had oil build up around the middle wear the threads are, and the car also stilled smelled like gas.

I'm going to take it out for a test drive tomorrow, but was wondering what you guys thought might be the issue. Could this be a valve cover issue? Let me know your thoughts when you get a chance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Yes it sounds like the valve cover is leaking into the spark plug galley, it could be a slow leak that takes a while to build up enough to cause a misfire. I would remove the distributor cap and check for oil, the distributor oil seal eventually leaks and when it does it will cause a misfire.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
There is really no way to diagnose high voltage ignition problems except replacement of key components with new. This includes plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. This is because microscopic cracks in the insulation can limit the ignition voltage, and you need full voltage to achieve spark when you are at full boost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts