MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on painting the interior and only one I can find is about using a gun and all these steps that I coudln't understand. It was BLAKE that responded to some other guys thread. Anyways. I never did this and I don't have space or tools to go pro style.

I will be using a spray can and some newspaper on the floor. What do I need to change the interior color of my mk1 mr2? I want to repaint the vinyl and some plastic areas. What kind of spray paint should I use? what should I watch out for? etc?? thanks !

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Trust me, you dont want to do that.

I went through like 3 cans of different paints on my last car and it always ends up flaking or dusting off.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about if I use a adhesion promotor,, ground base, or primer , sand it down to make it smooth, then apply paint?

·
Registered
53 Posts
you dont want to paint it i took the time and vinyl wrapped everything in my del sol

you have to take your dash off and kinda know what your doing this way it will never chip

·
Registered
85 Posts
i used the Automagic spray dye and its been 2 years now and there is no sign of chippin or flaking...i spent a lot of time with the prep work, most problems come from not getting products that were applied to the dash like armour-all off...

·
Registered
904 Posts
bloodshot said:
how about if I use a adhesion promotor,, ground base, or primer , sand it down to make it smooth, then apply paint?
If you can grasp that... You can handel the write up i did...

The only thing special about my procedure, is that I remove all the texture from the parts. So that every interior peice is as smooth as glass...

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Blakes write up was very easy to a paint guy. If you dont understand it your not going to do it correctly.

I would suggest getting someone like blake or i to do this for you. If you do this incorrectly it will peel immediatley.

There are products like this that may make this easier.http://www.autostyles.com/sem.htm

It is better than just buying a rattle can from Pep Boys. Use an adhesion promotor or it will fail. SEM has 2 i like. One is called Plastic Adhesion Promotor the other is flexible bonding clear. The first should be used on hard plastics and the other for softer more plyable plastics. I would suggest this on mr2 interior parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts