MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 MR2 NA, I have this bike lock metal rod looking thing that needs a circle key. This thing is next to the engine hood lever behind the driver seat. Any ideas what it is?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
91 MR2 NA, I have this bike lock metal rod looking thing that needs a circle key. This thing is next to the engine hood lever behind the driver seat. Any ideas what it is?
Do you have a photo of it? Doesn't sound like an OEM item but then the USA market got some real odd stuff the JDM cars didn't get which is what I am used to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. It indeed is some kind of lock guessing for the engine hood from the 90s...gonna need to remove it asap. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK you young uns' that's what was called a Chapman or Z-Lok.
They were very popular during the seventies and eighties.
They were big money makers for the auto salesman at the time - they'd cost about $50 to install and sold for $250 - cha-ching!

The installs were really gross - as you can see they would invariably lead to water leaks and rust.

When you pushed in the button it would lock the hood and ground the ignition through a resistor so the car wouldn't start.

Remove it, remove the crappy bracket under the hood and remove it's associated wiring. Then seal the hole through the rear bulkhead and seal the wire where the resistor tapped into the ignition system.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Before the days of reasonably priced alarms. There really needs to be a museum on these things. I really like the flame thrower from under the car one lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts