MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an intercooler (PP) that I want to use. Although in good shape, it is old. Some of the outer fins are quite brittle and can break if they are manipulated. It made me wonder what is going on the INSIDE of the intercooler. Is it possible that there are also brittle, can break off and be ingested?

I stuck a camera in the inlet/outlet to take a look and they all look ok to my untrained eye. However, I still wonder if this is possible? I assume that this wouldn't necessarily show up if I tried to pressurize the intercooler and see if it is leaking.

Coil spring Sleeve Font Electric blue Auto part

I'm curious bc I am current rebuilding my motor, and there is what I suspect tiny (sub mm) metal fragments that were ingested at some point in the past and was wondering IF that is true, would this be a potential source. Would it be easy enough to have a shop with some fab skills remove the core and place the MR2 specific end tanks on a new core?
Having said that I only ran this intercooler for startup and around the block a few times before deciding to dig in for a rebuild (due to an oil leak at the head gasket). I want to make sure things are as perfect as possible for the refreshed block.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
The external fins are subject to elements and oxidize / degrade over time. It's a guess, but the internal fins are coated in oil mist from the PCV system, so they are protected from exposure to oxygen and do not oxidize/corrode.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes that is all true but aluminum has an ever decreasing fatigue curve so over time with many heat cycles it will continue to get weaker and more brittle. I think it could actually happen... hard to know for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts