MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, back to the intake BS. So I decided to change my intake filter, I havent taken it off since Ive had the car(1 month) and I decided since my Lexus is getting one, why dont I get a new one for my 2 too?

SO i take off the piping first, and just..WOW.

The green HKS Mushroom filter is ..i mean..DRY ..like coral, and its crunchy, like cereal. The foam material is actually deteriorating. OK. fine, filter, easy fix. next thing. WOW AGAIN. the inside of my intake pipe is LINED WITH GRIME all over. just horrible...i dunno wtf the previous owner did to take care of this car. Anyways. Im replacing the filter by Monday evening and cleaning the pipe too, all at once.

My questions and thoughts are...

My intake position, etc somewhat bothers me, i dunno why. Just looks like too many bents, restrictions, etc. This is what it looks like:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kviperboy/album?.dir=/8639

Right off the throttle body, the stock 90 degree bend with all the rivets in it, can I just replace that with a 90degree 2.5inch diameter silicon piece? Also Im not sure about MR2's, but is it OK for me to cut down the piping so that its shorter? 2.5 inch piping all the way is good? And what is the biggest size filters you guys have tried? Havent found any info on that, even after searching.

And is this the GSR intake u guys are referring to?
http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=AC94IT-0081AIX&dbname=onlinestoreDB

..thats it for now, I will add more questions later...

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
unfortunatly the placement of the air filter looks exactly like everyone elses. the bends are required. I dont see a problem with using a silicone piece, as i think that is the only alternative to the stock pipe. The only problem i would see with cutting it down is getting the filter too close to the engine and hot air going into the intake.

Basically the idea of most is to get the filter as close to the vent as possible. Chances are all that gunk is inside your intake manifold. I had the same problem as you with gunk and an unclean filter. Basically i did the same and cleaned it up. I also used seafoam to clean the inside of the intake out. I didnt turn the car on though when i sprayed it in there, i let the seafoam soak for awhile then i turned the car on. Did wonders to the inside of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I am now 110% aware of that LOL.

I want to cut the piping, and then just make a ram intake kinda. But does it matter where the placement of the air temp sensor is? right now its RIGHT next to the cone filter. would it affect anything if i moved it closer to the throttle body?

thanks.

-Aaron

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Just FYI I will be starting producting of Aluminum intakes in about 2 weeks. Ditch the HKS for sure, get an Apexi Cone if you can.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Mister2.2 said:
Just FYI I will be starting producting of Aluminum intakes in about 2 weeks. Ditch the HKS for sure, get an Apexi Cone if you can.
once again ind t/b's ;)

sorry i'll stop bringing it up :angel:

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
on the other hand weapon r intakes arnt as bad with the turns but you wont see any power by replacing yours

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
why not just make a relocation bracket for the fusebox/coil. slap a cone right on the Tb inlet?

Intakes dont really do nothing for power anyways. they just sound cool.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea Im trying to shorten my current pipe, and yeah. Just heat wrap it, and create ram air somehow. I dont want the pipe to be too long, and I dont want it straight out of the throttle body, so yeah.

Still have the following questions unanswered:

1.) This the GSR intake u guys are referring to?
http://www.procarparts.com/store-de...e=onlinestoreDB

2.) Does it matter where the placement of the air temp sensor is? Would it affect anything if i moved it closer to the throttle body?

BTW Weapon R looks like its 3" piping, too much. And from my experiences with Weapon R on differnt cars and forums, its a POS(filter). My pipe came powdercoated flat black, so its fine with me. Just want it shorter.

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
would someone please answer my questions. thanks.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
shocker said:
ive never seen a dyno of a 5sfe w/ just intake.
i dont know what to say.. keep looking? :lol2:

would someone please answer my questions. thanks.
you're gonna have to meet us half way man.. please read the intake sticky, then search a little. this has really been beaten to death over and over and over, since pretty much the beginning of the board.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Ive been reading from yesterday 5PM-2AM. I havent seen any info on how to modify the air temp sensor, the placement of it affecting anything, and how to create an outlet for it on a generic pipe.

That can be answered, if I got answers to my 2 questions. Ive never dealt with an air temp sensor before, my other car doesnt have one. Its just a MAF, thats why im all confuzzled ;)

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
you can put the intake sensor anywhere you want, and its really not going to make a difference.

ideally, you want it as close to the cylinder head/intake manifold as possible.. but it really wont change much anyways with our dinosaur EFI system.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
TomsMR2 said:
you can put the intake sensor anywhere you want, and its really not going to make a difference.

ideally, you want it as close to the cylinder head/intake manifold as possible.. but it really wont change much anyways with our dinosaur EFI system.
what do u mean by dinosaur EFI system? and I can just..dremel a hole into the chamber??
Thats also what im confused about.. the integra GSR intakes dont have a hole for the air temp sensor right? so does everyone just freakn dremel into the pipe after they get it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Im sorry for not answering your questions but since the title is "intake thoughts"... heres my ideas. (pic below)

this may sound kinda strange but has anyone ever (on an N/A) thought about relocating the ECU 6 inches to the right... and the fuse box down a few inches... and then drilling an oval hole where the ECU use to be. Maybe adding a scoop on the trunk could be good too.

Results:
1) cooler air
2) smaller bends (45 degrees)
3) makes you a hardcore mofo

Flaws:
1) torque of the engine causing intake to move back and forth
2) less use of trunk (but who really uses it?)

everytime i get bored in class i just come up with sketches for my MR2.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
less cold air. cutting holes in the car. re-sale, pratiical, rust issues over time, ricer....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts