MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok some of you may know that a lot of stuff was stolen out/off my MR2 recently... including:

Volk GT-N's (with new tires :( )
HKS 60mm Elec Boost Gauge
HKS S-AFR
Blitz DSBC Spec R ebc
Racing Seats

Anyway... the issue I am now dealing with is that, like many MR2 owners in this community, I have bought many many items (most new, few used) through MR2 members in my local IMOC or off the boards. However, I obviously paid cash for almost all of these transactions and thus have little paper trail...

My car is covered with comprehensive insurance, however I need to provide receipts for all my mods. My question is, what is the legally appropriate method of providing paperwork? Can I simply obtain a bill of sale from each individual I've purchased items from, signed and dated with purchase price?

I have (thankfully) never had to deal with this before... any advice on how to best deal with an insurance company and get the appropriate money back is much appreciated

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Ouch! Do you have any photographs of the car with the mods installed? That might help if the insurance company balks at handwritten receipts.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ironically I found out from an insurance adjuster friend here lately that mods can REDUCE the value of your car - for example, 4 brand new factory alloys from the dealer will usually cost more than many "average" aftermarket wheels, factory stereo worth more than aftermarket, etc.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dsf3g said:
Ouch! Do you have any photographs of the car with the mods installed? That might help if the insurance company balks at handwritten receipts.
yes, lots (thankfully)

and I have paid my insurance for almost every month in person for the past few years so they've seen my drive up haha...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry said:
Ironically I found out from an insurance adjuster friend here lately that mods can REDUCE the value of your car - for example, 4 brand new factory alloys from the dealer will usually cost more than many "average" aftermarket wheels, factory stereo worth more than aftermarket, etc.
I was actually wondering about that too... thinking worst case that buying a brand new set of OEM seats and OEM wheels from Toyota can't be cheap...

but considering list price for my wheels is over $2200 I'm a little doubtful that OEM 14s cost that much... even at overpriced dealer prices

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
I think each OEM wheel costs about $230 from partznet. So that doesnt even equate to half the value of your aftermarket wheels.

-JD

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JDSingh said:
I think each OEM wheel costs about $230 from partznet. So that doesnt even equate to half the value of your aftermarket wheels.

-JD
lol.... well that's some ______ news then for sure... hmmm

time to see what I can scrounge up then...

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Have your insurance company pay you for the cost of OEM parts (exept maybe the wheels). New OEM parts for older cars are INSANELY expensive.

Get this... My 91 Integra was broken into and they stole my cd player. They asked me if I had the OEM unit or and aftermarket, to which I replied OEM, hehe. Guess the cost of a brand new OEM tape deck/radio for my 91 integra.....

$1,257! SCORE!!! :banana

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
tape deck and radio 1275 ahaha thats like how much the teg is worth :eek:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NoSirItsAToyota said:
Have your insurance company pay you for the cost of OEM parts (exept maybe the wheels). New OEM parts for older cars are INSANELY expensive.
hmm I'll have to start looking up part numbers and running them through partznet to see how things turn out

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
rhouck said:
hmm I'll have to start looking up part numbers and running them through partznet to see how things turn out
No! Don't run it through partznet! Call a body shop and ask them for a quote on that part. Trust me, it should make a huge difference. ;)

EDIT: Try calling Abra Autobody and Glass for the quote. Thats where i had mine.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NoSirItsAToyota said:
No! Don't run it through partznet! Call a body shop and ask them for a quote on that part. Trust me, it should make a huge difference. ;)

EDIT: Try calling Abra Autobody and Glass for the quote. Thats where i had mine.
oh I wasn't going to turn those numbers into insurance, just figuring that's probably one of the LOWEST priced places ya? I'm not sure where insurance will be calling around when they quote me what THEY think things are worth... or do they really just let me do it?

I've never been in an accident in my life nor had anything stolen... not even a broken windshield haha... I've seriously never made a claim on ANYTHING so this is all very foreign to me :(

Thanks for the shop reference

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
rhouck said:
I'm not sure where insurance will be calling around when they quote me what THEY think things are worth... or do they really just let me do it?
For me, they sent out an agent to assess the damage and take pictures just for their records. Then they told me I can go to any body shop that they deal with (which was most of the local shops anyways :)). Then I went to get the quote at Abra. The quote was outrageous. So I took the money and used some of it to just get a new window and get a new cd player. I had a good $1200 or so left. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
rhouck said:
? Can I simply obtain a bill of sale from each individual I've purchased items from, signed and dated with purchase price?
Dammit man, are you insane? Why are you making it so hard for yourself. Sometimes in life you need to be "creative" and think outside the box. Here I will give you some advice. 1. Go to your nearest Office Depot,Office MAx 2. Go to the aisle where they sell customer reciepts 3. Buy them 4. Fill them out and have each one signed differently, make up a name if you have to and preferable have a different person sign each one, doesn't matter who, but the handwriting will be different and thats what matters. Give them to whoever you need to give those reciepts to for proof and you are set. You really don't and shouldn't post addresses, phone numbers, or anything like that. Never give more info than you have to. Don't make the prices too high or it might be suspicious, and heres another little hint. Try to use different style reciepts or colors that are different. It makes it look more authentic.. Ok I said my peace, but you didn't hear this from me.. :)

Dan

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I am quite happy with my insurance right now. I had them insure it for every part thus far. Essentially I had an insurance agent look over every part I wanted insured and we assigned a value to it. 1500 for widebody, 4000 for paint, 2500 for rims, etc. They even insured engine parts. This way, if my car gets totaled/stolen, I'm not just insured for bluebook of 3,000 or so. It is so funny to tell my friends that my insured car value is worth more than thier wrx or rx7. Of course my premiums are sky high but I only drive it several months of the year and it is VERY worth it as my car has soooooo much invested in it.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't even think about the fact that I could buy actual customer receipts... if nothing else at least makes things look more official

Mr. E- Like so many things in life, that was on my list of "things to do". Assuming things ever get fixed back to how they wre, I will certainly be trying to work out a similar system.... I'd rather pay a jacked up comp rate than have to deal with again :(

Did you have any problems with them not wanting to cover engine parts tho? I know I had a friend who got in a minor accident and when they found out he had an aftermarket exhaust, they FREAKED out and told him they would drop him unless he signed a contract saying he would never modify a single part of his car again....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts