MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

not sure if this is the right area.. but its lives in the interior so i guess it is..

i recently bought one of these short shifter kits from a local guy here... however the kit wasn't provided with any instructions (i knew this would be the case). However on installing i came into issues.. where the right hand rod (connected to the shaft of the shifter seems to be higher than on the stock item. Once intalled and trying to change gears... seems hard to get into gear.. so im think this is because ont he short shifter the right hand rod is attached to high on the shaft? mm i dunno... the kit came with the blue anodised plate and bolts, however i couldn't figure out where they would work in ... and it seemed to bolt into fine to the stock socket etc.. :( i hope this makes sence.

i guess the ultimate question is do short shift kits mount the right hand rod int he same position as the stock shifter?

and does anyone know where that blue thing goes.. and will that fix my issue? lol thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29716&item=4524128343&rd=1

mark

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
That looks like the replica B&M shifter.

That blue plate you are talking about is a drop plate. It goes inbetween the shifter and the bracket that bolts to the car to drop the shifter lever down another 1/4 or so. Which would drop your shifter cable down as well.

Take the center arm rest off. Remove the two big clips holding the cables to the shifter bracket. Remove the cables from the shifter. Unbolt the shifter bracket from the car (4 bolts with rubber gromments). Take the entire assemly out. Unbolt the shifter unit from the bracket (two bolts on top, two from the bottom). This blue plate goes inbetween this area on the bottom.

The bolts are provided because the stock ones won't be long enough with this drop plate.

Then put it all back together with loc-tite.

You could replace those rubber gromments that bolt the shifter bracket to the car with brass ones from Speed Source and TwosRus.com

If that didn't help, check out this:

http://www.kupop.net/mr2/shifter/

Those are pictures I took during my B&M shifter install.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhh im so stupid! lol, makes sence! this will bring the cable down to the height it is supposed to be! many thanks! when it stops raining ill give this a go :)

mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts