MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed it yesterday and drove it a little bit last night and I like the way it feels.

The installation was very easy, I just did what was suggested by Kirk. He said to just install the brake lines first and then bend them by twisting the MC into place. It worked like a charm and it was close enough to stock that the lines didnt really even bend. More like just tweaked a little. It bolted right up nice and easy. Bleeding was very easy as I have speed bleeders on all 4 corners.

Driving it around was pretty nice. The pedal was firmer than before. I feel that the pedal is easier to modulate and creates more stopping power with less effort (this is what a larger MC is supposed to do). All in all, I think was a nice upgrade from the stock 227k mile MC.

The only problem I have with it is that the electrical connector for the brake fluid level sensor is different than the stock one. So I am going to be looking around for a connector that will work and splice it onto the stock plug wiring.

Chad :thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.
Perhaps its possible to install a MC resevoir/cap that mates with the stock plug.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be possible. The MK1 does not fit for sure though, it is much larger than the MK2 cap.

BTW...For reference, the diameter of the stock MC bore is 7/8" and the 95 turbo is 15/16".

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Amzero, the larger m/c is supposed to create a "firmer" pedal. What it WILL NOT do is "create more stopping power with less effort".

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tas02 said:
Amzero, the larger m/c is supposed to create a "firmer" pedal. What it WILL NOT do is "create more stopping power with less effort".
Yeah I realize that, I guess I just worded it wrong. You have to push the pedal less to get the same stopping power.

Drove it a bunch yesterday with some nice hard stops and today with some daily driving and it really feels a lot better than my stock one did. I recommend it if you want to spring the extra cash for it and probably wait like I did. Took me a month of waiting for it to come in from Japan. The install was just as easy as a stock one so besides the cost there really isnt a reason not to do it. Well, I guess I still have to figure out the plug thing. ;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think that I'd rather have to push the pedal harder to get the same stopping power... better modulation that way.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
just bend the hard lines in the frunk

·
I LOVE GOLD!
1,939 Posts
american_zero said:
Bleeding was very easy as I have speed bleeders on all 4 corners. Chad :thumbup
What size Speed Bleeders do MK-1s take, I'm assuming you have a 87+.

TM

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rory said:
I think that I'd rather have to push the pedal harder to get the same stopping power... better modulation that way.
And that is exactly what he has accomplished by installing the larger diameter master cylinder. Master cylinder piston diameter is now closer to brake caliper piston diameter so there is less mechanical advantage. Fluid volume per stroke of master cylinder has increased. Therefore, to get the same braking force as before, the pedal now requires less travel and higher effort.

This is really really basic hydraulics folks, no mystery, no circumventing the rules of physics.

Here's a good page on hydraulic brake theory http://www.autoed.com/webbyte/santini_erjavec/pdf/brakesch07.pdf

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ticket Master said:
What size Speed Bleeders do MK-1s take, I'm assuming you have a 87+.

TM
Not too sure what size they are as I got them a couple of years ago. At my local parts store (where I worked at the time) they had a little application book that I got the part numbers from. Anyone who sells them should be able to let you know what size to use.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Chad was the MC for with ABS or w/out???

is there even a such thing as a 95T w/out ABS???

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
According to everything I've seen, the answer is, yes, there is a 95T w/o ABS. Which you want, I don't know. I can't imagine what the difference would be in the master cylinder except maybe outlets. I am curious to which one it is. Autozone has a reman 95T w/o ABS for $65 or thereabouts. Advance Auto has a new Bendix unit for about $140 (both with and without). I'm curious where Alderaan34 found it for $108.

However, the big catch on any of these is... If American_zero had to swap resevoir caps, I'm sure he had to swap resevoirs, which means you'd need a new resevoir, and I don't think they normally come with master cylinders. Does anyone know which resevoirs work with the 95T MC?

So anyone have any thoughts about the resevoir or which MC to be using?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used the w/out ABS 95T. Its been a while since I have looked at it, but I remember that I could not just swap out the reservoirs. So right now I dont have the low level indicator hooked up. I would imagine that you could just source the plug from another Toyota from around that year. I just havent had the time to search a junkyard for it, and my car hasnt been on the road for the past few months either. If you can get one locally I would do it. Mine took a while to get here from Japan.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts