MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my obx headers today and I was wondering if I should know anything before installing it into my 91 mr2 with 80k miles on it :smile: ? Anything I should know before putting it on. They say that it is a simple bolt on but I dont know about that. Seems to easy or maybe it is i have no clue. Anyway any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
go buy pb blaster and start spraying the bolts.. then be ready to use a helicoil when the studs strip out anyways!

the first time is the hardest, by far.. the damn rusty nuts are a pain.. its pretty easy to do, its just getting past the rust the first time thats hard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
you might as well go to the dealership and see if you can get some new bolts from them just incase you bust one. Hell just replace them anyway and do your future self a favor.

BC

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
.. i wouldnt.. if you can get the nut off the stud, you're good to go.. its getting the studs out of the head that becomes a problem.. it seems that the instant they actually turn, they strip right out and take some threads from the head along with it! id pick a few up just incase you do break one, but i wouldnt try to replace ones already in the head..

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah toms is right. when i got my obx headers i broke off some of one stud but there's enough left on it to thread on another nut. I'll be replacing the stud soon.

I also had fitment issues with my obx headers. it wouldn't bolt up to the stock exhuast. luckily i was going to have a custom one made the next morning (tko-style).

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
if you got a friend that works at an auto store with a lift and air tools i recommend you have him unbolt the bolts for you or free them up. to take the b-pipe of of the stock one either lift the car high enough or lift it somwhat high and take the passenger axle out. it will be a little trouble but saves you the time it would take to fiddle around with trying to get the stock b-pipe out at a hight thats to not high enough. or you can always just hack it up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh thanks guys. I hope im one of those people that has one that will bolt right up to it. Also on the side I have a question about cams. I know that if i get aftermarket cams I will see a difference in hp because it is likely that it will increase. So I wanted to know what cams could i use to fit on a 5sfe engine. It seems all the ones I find are only abloe to fit 3sge or 3sgtes engines. Could the cam that fits on the 3sge fit on the 5sfe engine? Also I know this is a noob question but I have to get it out there. Does the 5sfe engine have twin cams or does it only have 1? And if they were twin should I change the 2 of them to aftermarket ones or leave one stock and just change one of them? Thanks a lot guys. Your help is very much appreciated

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
make sure you have a sawzall (seriously). the car is old. things are rusted. good luck. i just finished installing my hotshot header, and it was real work, and now i have an exhaust leak where the header connects to the b-pipe because ____ wouldn't line up exactly right, and the exhaust hanger didn't put the b-pipe in the right spot at all. it was completely worth it though, because my car is 21834928364 times faster than it was before. unfortunately, because i currently have a leaky exhaust, i sound like the typical riced out civic with a 5 inch muffler tip. :thumbup

in addition, the 5sfe has both an intake and exhaust cam, but they move together, which sort of eliminates the point of having a twin cam engine. if you're going to change one out though, you are better off changing both if you want a lot more power, from what i've heard. some people on this board have gotten away with just an intake cam and that seems to be fine.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the 5sfe only has 1 cam then? Also what cams would work for the 5sfe then? All the ones that i have found work for the 2.0 liter engines the 3sges and the 3sgtes. What about the 5sfe any that you guys would reccomend?

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Read the stickies. The 5sfe has two cams, but the timing belt only drives one of them -the other is driven off that cam by intermeshing gears. That means you can't get adjustable cam sprockets since adjusting the one belt-driven cam would screw up the timing of the other cam.

WebCams makes regrinds for the 5sfe, and there are a few other suppliers mentioned in other posts. Again, read the stickies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts