MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of how or have a link of how to change the back lights on the gauge of the MK2? Which color is better in your oppinion, LED blue or Lexus IS white for the back lights?? Please give me some pointer of how to do this. Thanks people

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
neXus sw21 said:
id like to know to i dont like my indaglo gauges =/
Yeah, indaglo gauges are so old and getto civic likes. I'm tired of mine too. The previous owner had it installed now none of the gauges working properly except for the rpm. I need a new gauge cluster and while I'm at it, I'll change the back lights too

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'd get bright 194 bulbs or 168 bulbs. The generic ones are usually too dim. I think I got mine off summit if I remember correctly. They're red. Before that I was using some apc super white bulbs that were white with a slight haze of blue. They illuminated pretty well, too.

Basically you just have to start taking your dash appart with a screwdriver until you get the cluster out. Just remember how it goes back together and don't use force.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about Lexus white bulb at the dealer? I heard they are pretty good, just look at the IS. I wanted to do LED but heard that they dont shine light evenly though out the cluster.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
umm I heard u can go to Lexus to buy the lexus bulbs. They are alittle bit pricy but worth the price though. Very bright and last along time. I'm still searching for good LED bulbs that shine evenly. Anyone know??

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
neXus sw21 said:
how much is pricey.? how many do we need.? 5.?
Yeah U'll need 5 of them. I think I heard they went for like 4 bucks a piece at Lexus. It was along time ago so i dont remember. I could be wrong

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
194 and 168 are the same. I read that 168 put out more light and there a bit bigger.

there are 5 bulbs to replace, You only need 4, the 5th is for the gaslight which has a filter on it so it doesnt matter.

I have ion yellow bulbs in my gauge cluster and they came out more orange... THey look really nice! perfect lit all around.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
4 bux from lexus i gues thats ok.. but wa color r the ones from lexus.? i no autozone has 194 in amber.. but i was thinking more like white or sumin..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i think lexus has white lights. I dotn know if its led or not but i heard they are very bright. Just look at the IS guague light and u'll know

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
194 and 168 are the same size. 194 have 2 fillaments and 168s have 3, which makes them brighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts