MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:thumbup Got my 88SC back from the shop last night after they installed the Dynomax exhaust and I can't believe the difference in the responsiveness of the car, not to mention the sound (thanks Brianlp). Apparently that was one of the problems with the HKS cams, they just weren't able to "breathe" (or should I say "exhale") with the temporary exhaust I had on there (2.25 NA muffler). I'm gong to move the intake out of the trunk to see if that helps the Intake side. The car still seems to smoke some on hard acceleration, but not nearly as much as previously, but it was night time so I can't be too sure yet. I also noticed a big difference in the blue smoke issue after I put the O2 sensor back on. The shop had "forgotten" that I didn't bring it with the new muffler and so they blocked off the bunge! On the one remaining problem---the max out at 6,000 rpm's, the rev limiter cut in at 6500 on the tach so I think the car is revving properly, but the tach is not reading the rpm's correctly? Anyone have some insight on that? TIA

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Are you running a header or a cat? I have the KBD header and I've run with and without the cat. I like the way the car sounds at idle and low speeds but it's a bit loud and I don't care for the pitch when you open it up. It sounds a little better with the cat on.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Glad you saw this Brianlp. I'm running the stock exhaust manifold, but I do have an HKS resonator in place of the Cat. I'm very surprised at how quiet it is at idle and cruising, almost like the stock sc exhaust. That's why I was surprised that you said yours was loud. I do love the way it sounds at WOT though and like I said, it really opened up the motor. Thanks for your help in finding the right one. I had it shipped from Summit. Also, I thought I may have incorrectly adjusted the TPS prior to putting the exhaust on because it was "loping", but it cleared right up with the Dynomax.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
86AW11 said:
Mack, which muffler did you get? Part number please. And a pic of your setup.
It is the Dynomax Super Turbo RV muffler from SummitRacing--- WLK-17788 7x31 (similar to the stock shape) $59.99 + shipping.
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=289-17788&x=18&y=12
Click on the "WLK" link for a pic.
Here's the pic on the car:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/azmr2/LeifMelanieRyan010.jpg
Not all that "pretty" but what can you expect from a speed shop with 4 mustangs and a Corvette parked out front? I only had to rethread 2 of the studs from the O2 sensor from the standard nuts they stripped on! (I'll replace the two standard bolts they used to bolt on the flex pipe to the manifold later). :)
Mack

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Thanks Mack, I think that muffler will work fine on my swap car. I wil have the shop try and "tuck" it up a little farther up than what your pic shows. Does it have the clearance for that? Paul

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I thought about adding a glasspack as a resonator in place of the cat but I can't find one that short. I was hoping for a lower exhaust note like my 93NA but I guess it's the size of the 2.2 that gives it that sound.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
brianlp, add a glasspack. I think you can find them about 11" or so and just hack off the end pipes and weld her in.
the glasspack makes a NICE deep sound, and should make a dynomax turbo sound awesome. I got the sound i want and it sounds better than any NA 2.2 i've heard.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Right now I have a high flow cat and a pipe the same length with flanges welded on so I can swap them at inspection time. If I can find a glasspack the same length, I'll weld some flanges on it and swap it in. I'll have to do some more looking.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I should have mentioned that I have an HKS resonator in place of the cat. They said they tucked the muffler pretty far up so I don't think there is much more room to get it up higher (Paul, I think it's the angle of the photo that makes it look like it's hanging down so low?) I also just noticed that instead of putting a flange on the end of the pipe leading in to the HKS, they welded the pipe to it! I guess I won't be selling the HKS any time soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts