MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on visiting Europe this summer (from Barcelona to Germany to Netherlands to Belgium). One thing I plan to do is visit the N?rburgring, rent a track-prepped car, and drive on the Ring for half a day. Is there anyone here who lives in this area? If so, is anyone going to any of the F1 races there?

While I'm in Europe, are there any (small) parts I should try to get, things that may be easy to get there but are a pain to get from the US?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not in Germany or Belgium but the Netherlands. We go to the N?rburgring once or twice a year.

I'm not sure but if you want to rent a track car then I think you better book one way ahead of time.

Cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlackJax said:
Not in Germany or Belgium but the Netherlands. We go to the N?rburgring once or twice a year.

I'm not sure but if you want to rent a track car then I think you better book one way ahead of time.

Cheers
Thanks for the info, I'll start contacting the rental places now.

I'm also visiting Amsterdam, but I'm intentionally doing this AFTER I visit the Ring (and before Belgium).

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I did the same exact thing you are planning doing two weeks ago! there are a few MR2's in belgium. I stayed in Ninove and Ghent with some family I saw 4 MR2's in Ninove alone.

word of advice when you go to the ring take the tour, the one you can drive on doesn't open till 5. the tour is all in german but still worth it if you can't speak it (like me) also I would suggest spending the day at the ring, I only went for one lap and it was no were near enough! and I was just in a little diesle seat ibiza!

also bring a camera! here is the link to the pics i took while i was there http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/mr2fool/Europe/ also when your in germany you will be on the autobahn so remember the white circle with 3 black lines means there is no speed limit ;)

ps if you really are going and you go to the ring if at all possible I would like you to get something for me there that i couldn't get when i was there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mr.deux said:
word of advice when you go to the ring take the tour, the one you can drive on doesn't open till 5. the tour is all in german but still worth it if you can't speak it (like me) also I would suggest spending the day at the ring, I only went for one lap and it was no were near enough! and I was just in a little diesle seat ibiza!

ps if you really are going and you go to the ring if at all possible I would like you to get something for me there that i couldn't get when i was there.
Ok thanks for the info - how much is the tour? Is that where they drive you around the ring, or is it something else? I do plan to hang out at the ring for at least a day or two, I'd like to try and ride with other random people driving around the ring. And I plan to rent a car for driving on the Ring for a half day (4 hours). On Fridays it's open from like 2pm - 7:30 or so, but yeah on weekdays it's only open to public for like 2 hours. I want to avoid saturday/sunday because I've heard it's pretty crowded.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
the tour was only 6 euro i think, and no they walk you around the smaller track and give you a tour of the inside. the inside part is really cool they have a room that is all TV's (one for every corner) when i was there, there was a porsche group raing around the track so during the whole tour you could see and hear all the cars racing around.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Michel said:
I live close and I visit the Nordschleife like 2 times a month, on average. If you have questions or anything, just shoot !

Same for you..
there is a shop there that sells racing shoes, I think they are called "speed" or something like that. any way they were only 40 euro for a pair and they were closed when i was there or else I would have gotten a set! I have no idea how much it would cost to ship them though. if its not to much to ship I would like a pair! and I will gladly pay

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michel said:
I live close and I visit the Nordschleife like 2 times a month, on average. If you have questions or anything, just shoot !
Cool... My current plan is to be in Germany from July 19 - July 24 or 25. Then I'm going to Amsterdam or somewhere in the Netherlands to meet a friend who is also visiting Europe. If you happen to be there during that time, it would be cool to meet up with you, ride around the 'Ring, etc. I chose the dates above because I have read that the Ring gets busy on weekends (lots of traffic on the Nordschleife), so I wanted to try to do it during the week. But my schedule is still somewhat flexible, and if weekends aren't so bad, then maybe I'll do it on the weekend of July 24-26.

I'm also still trying to find a place close to the Nurburgring that rents a 350Z, or an S2000, or something close to it. (I'm most familiar with the 350Z on a track).

·
Registered
228 Posts
mr.deux said:
yes I think thats what its called, its right at the enterence to the ring to the right of the vendor person and across from the retaurant
Hmkay.. do you have more details about said shoes ? Color, sizing and $$ ?
I'll be there coming weekend again.. so I'll take a look if they still have them and then I can confirm it to you.

mthreat said:
Cool... My current plan is to be in Germany from July 19 - July 24 or 25. Then I'm going to Amsterdam or somewhere in the Netherlands to meet a friend who is also visiting Europe. If you happen to be there during that time, it would be cool to meet up with you, ride around the 'Ring, etc. I chose the dates above because I have read that the Ring gets busy on weekends (lots of traffic on the Nordschleife), so I wanted to try to do it during the week. But my schedule is still somewhat flexible, and if weekends aren't so bad, then maybe I'll do it on the weekend of July 24-26.

I'm also still trying to find a place close to the Nurburgring that rents a 350Z, or an S2000, or something close to it. (I'm most familiar with the 350Z on a track).
While the weekends can be somewhat busy, it sure is much more fun compared to regular weekdays.. during the weekends you get to see beautiful cars..many many cars... sometimes the parkinglots are crowded and it's impossible to find a free spot on the main parkinglots but at the same time you can drive your laps without too much traffic.. then there are other days where the parkinglots are pretty much empty and it's chaos on the track lol.. so it's really hit and miss..

If you just want to have fun, drive a few laps and visit some nice spectator spots.. I'd visit on Saturday and Sunday..
If you just want to drive.. you visit during the week.

About car choice, it doesn't matter.. you'll be slow anyway if it's your first time. First priority is surviving and keeping things safe (and on the tarmac). When things go wrong, it get's serious expensive really fast.

I'm hoping my MR2 will be running again at the end of July.. so maybe we can meet up.. that'd be fun.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Michel said:
Hmkay.. do you have more details about said shoes ? Color, sizing and $$ ?
I'll be there coming weekend again.. so I'll take a look if they still have them and then I can confirm it to you.
the ones I would want are the blue ones in size 44 they said "speed" on the side of them. the building is the one that is all glass for sides. if they have them let me know and I will try and see how much shipping would cost! you rock!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Michel said:
While the weekends can be somewhat busy, it sure is much more fun compared to regular weekdays.. during the weekends you get to see beautiful cars..many many cars... sometimes the parkinglots are crowded and it's impossible to find a free spot on the main parkinglots but at the same time you can drive your laps without too much traffic.. then there are other days where the parkinglots are pretty much empty and it's chaos on the track lol.. so it's really hit and miss..

If you just want to have fun, drive a few laps and visit some nice spectator spots.. I'd visit on Saturday and Sunday..
If you just want to drive.. you visit during the week.

About car choice, it doesn't matter.. you'll be slow anyway if it's your first time. First priority is surviving and keeping things safe (and on the tarmac). When things go wrong, it get's serious expensive really fast.

I'm hoping my MR2 will be running again at the end of July.. so maybe we can meet up.. that'd be fun.
Ok.. maybe I'll try to visit part weekday and part weekend to get the best of both worlds. I sent you an email..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.