MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm currently tuning my mr2 on a link g4+ pnp

I was wondering if someone could give me a rough timing map for my setup...right now I'm sitting at 13 psi with 15*-16* of timing. I was wondering what's people's recommendations on what the timing should be referenced to boost roughly. On 91 octane =(

Mod list
92 jdm Gen 2 3sgte
Fully built head/port and polished
Gsc 268 cams (set to 0, I was wondering if I should retard the exhaust cam)
HKS cam gears and belt
3 inch dp and exhaust
Greddy intercooler
Cosmetic 1.3mm headgasket
Sard 800cc injectors
Aem fpr
New oem cap rotor, spark plug wires
Bkr7e ngk spark plugs.

Please and thank you.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I have a very similar setup as you but I am running E85 @ 15psi. The timing values you are reporting during full throttle is about right for your setup. I have put on several hundred miles on my setup without damage and it has two or three more degrees than your map. If the rest of your map is scaled correctly it is safe enough to drive to the dyno.

I'd recommend getting a cam degree kit. I've tried to eye-ball cam install may times and I usually don't get it aligned correctly (I'm off a tooth retard or advance).

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a very similar setup as you but I am running E85 @ 15psi. The timing values you are reporting during full throttle is about right for your setup. I have put on several hundred miles on my setup without damage and it has two or three more degrees than your map. If the rest of your map is scaled correctly it is safe enough to drive to the dyno.

I'd recommend getting a cam degree kit. I've tried to eye-ball cam install may times and I usually don't get it aligned correctly (I'm off a tooth retard or advance).
I have a kit, I was dreading doing it because of the amount of room on the mr2 lol.

Was there a noticeable difference when you degreed the cams?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
It is a lot of up and down to degree cams with motor in the car. I noticed a difference in idle quality and exhaust sound, vacuum amount, general drive ability, and responsiveness while having my cams degreed to different settings. When I first installed the motor without degreeing, the motor was peppy mid rpm and fell off quick in high rpms. The power curve was very peaky. This is a decent reference on what adjusting cams does to power delivery over rpm: Cam Gear Tuning - Tuning Advance, Retard, and Overlap for Power

For now, I set them based on the recommendation of engine builder and recorded lobe separation angle, duration, and overlap with the chart below (that way I can remember where they are set). When I hit the dyno I will adjust them to find the optimal characteristics based on my preferences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts