MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a quick rundown.

I have my car in the shop getting the AEM EMS installed. The car ran fine when I dropped it off. The owner/installer drove the car in stock form and it did fine. So he took it back to the shop, pulled the stock ecu and installed the AEM. It ran for about 1 min but no tach signal to the AEM. The stock tach started jumping between 1k-2k rpm. Then it died. Not to start again. The stock ecu was reinstalled and still no start. I went today and tried all I could think of. The igniter and coil was fine (even tried a known running one).

I am at a loss and they are not going to do anything else till I get this part fixed. Can anyone please help me figure this out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you done an error code check with the stock ecu?

May find you get 'No starter signal below XXXrpm'

Have you checked the rpm plug on the g-box? If I were you I'd check this first. Maybe it's become unplugged somehow, maybe (if it's an early car and gear driven tacho) that it may have broken? Unplug from g-box, and attach a drill. Spin the cable and see if the tach in the cabin is working.

That's the area I'd be concentrating on personally.

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By rpm plug on the g-box you mean the speedometer cable gear thing? How would this affect the ignition system? Don't get me wrong I appreciate the help. I just really don't see how the speed sensor could affect the ignition. :)

Now if g-box you mean distributor then yeah. I plan to test it today. But the problem is that mostly all the tests require the car to be running... which it isn't. And the car just for reference is a 91 turbo. It has the gear driven speedo but the tach is all electronic from what I know.

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Update. I went and tested everything. It is getting fuel and spark. The distributor tests fine as does the igniter and coil. But I did notice something. The BGB says that there should be voltage between E1 (ground) and B+/B1+. There is voltage but it is only like 6.5-7 volts. The EFI relay that throws power to these 2 connections is fine too as I tested it. And there is 12v to the terminals without the relay in place. But also there is no power to these terminals without the terminal plugged into the ecu. Is this normal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts