MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My igniter went out today on my AW11. I swapped it with my AE86 & it works just fine. Now my question is ... what aftermarket I can use? I don't wanna spend $300-$400 for a toyota igniter!
UPDATE: Does anyone here use MSD on a stock motor?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Davegt27 ~ Do you happen to have schematics/intructions on how to do it? I got MSD 6A with Tach adapter from a friend.
Miander ~ I did bought 2 used igniter. But with my luck their both bad. Unless you have one for sale that 100% sure that is working?

·
Premium Member
12,312 Posts
Omise said:
...bought 2 used igniter. But with my luck their both bad.
How do you know that the fault is not elsewhere? Did you replace the coil along with the igniter? How about an open wire in the harness?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rmeller said:
How do you know that the fault is not elsewhere? Did you replace the coil along with the igniter? How about an open wire in the harness?
Read my first post. I swapped my igniter/coil from AE86 to AW11. The igniter/coil from my AE86 started the the MR2. So, I am 100% sure there is nothing wrong with wiring/harness or anything else but the igniter/coil.
mr white ~ It's one of my concern if I still need OEM igniter or not. MSD's "General Import Wiring" diagram shows that I need to connect 2 wires (white & red) from ignition box (MSD) to amplifier (I'm guessing it's the igniter). However in the tech support forum stated that those two wires should be connected to 12v ignition source.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Omise said:
Davegt27 ~ Do you happen to have schematics/instructions on how to do it? I got MSD 6A with Tach adapter from a friend.
Miander ~ I did bought 2 used igniter. But with my luck their both bad. Unless you have one for sale that 100% sure that is working?
I found my original MR2 Haynes manual and it looks like I penciled in some wires but I don?t remember doing it so I can?t confirm that it?s right

It used to be pretty common knowledge on how to do it

my drawing shows two wires that run between the igniter and the coil.

I really need to look into this I am scared I might give you the wrong info

Edit: go here
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions.pdf

Page 5 tells you what?s what
MSD used to have these little things that attached to the coil Pos (+) and Neg (-) to make hook up a little easier

The tach adapt is on page 7

HTH
Davegt27

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bill Strong said:
I have converted a GM unit to work with the Toyota unit for the 22R pickup ignitor. It worked very good and was just a few buck.
Never tested on a 4age.

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1319

The GM HEI units are good but i already looked into using one (same reason as posted price and age) The 4 pin unit from the link doesn't allow computer control timing only mech and vac advance. And the 7&8 pin modules send out ecu captures on the falling edge of the wave, while from what i can gather the vast ign in the 4age does so on the rising edge of the square 12v output. This could cause irregular/erratic timing because the computer uses the output from the ign module to determine the signal to the ign module for timing advance.

But if someone wants to test it out it would be a good option for those who need new ign modules as the one from Toyota are made of finely spun gold fibers lol. One thing is for sure they would need to check timing in multiple areas in low/high load and rpm to make sure it acts right.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i wish someone had figured this out lol i'm on my 2nd or 3rd igniter and i just don't trust em this old..

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I also have an HKS DIS for the 4ag motor

I think oldeskewltoy has a direct fire (coil on plug) setup

Or maybe you?re just talking about a different igniter?

Davegt27

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At first I was looking for a replacement for OEM igniters. Since our cars are getting old & most igniters we buy are old/used. I know they are still available new but for the price, I would like to find something that will work better. BTS, those HKS DIS are awesome. Are you selling them?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Omise said:
At first I was looking for a replacement for OEM igniters. Since our cars are getting old & most igniters we buy are old/used. I know they are still available new but for the price, I would like to find something that will work better. BTS, those HKS DIS are awesome. Are you selling them?
Haven?t thought about it but yeah I could sell it

It is brand new never used I don't know what it?s worth

Just send me a PM I guess

davegt27

·
Registered
120 Posts
Omise said:
this would be nice for your car!! :thumbup

·
Registered
998 Posts
my solution was Coil on Plug via Megasquirt like Dave27 and oldskeweltoy. no replacement for displacement.... and standalone :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
lol woah so the only option we have is buy a used igniter..a 25+yo unit? lol i cant believe no one has sourced a new replacement yet..

·
Registered
998 Posts
not that simple toyota igniters of that era are pretty specific. they have an extra confirmation signal most igniters don't

1 - 20 of 24 Posts