MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you purchased a "MR2OC Baseball cap" from fridays_knights (Friday Craven) at one of the recent meets, I would like to inform you that they are counterfeit.
I have a deal for you. You send me the cap, and I will send you a real MR2OC baseball cap for free.
I know he sold two, and gave one away.

In return for the cheap counterfeit hat you will get a high quality embroidered baseball cap.

Contact me via PM or email at [email protected]

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bullspit

First sir, I have never sold any hats. I did make some hats on my home machine (2 exactly) for a meet in Tucson. It was just for the meet and anybody who says that I sold one to them come forth and show yourself, liars. The 2 that I made were originally intended for my wife and I, but my wife, also not liking it, didn't want to wear it. So I asked the other Mr2 people at the meet if someone might want to buy it from me. Of course no one did, so I asked if anyone just wanted it, then. Which the guy in a white turbo with purple heart license plate said he would (sorry I'm bad with names) and also asked if I worked for you. To which I said that I didn't and said that I had just made the 2 on my machine at home, but if anyone had some designs they might want embroidered to let me know because I do have the machine. Figured I could make a couple of bucks maybe, besides my designs are just as good if not better, too. He then took the hat and that was the end of it. I never sold any hats and still possess the other hat. The problem with the hat wasn't the design actually, it was the fact that it was a straw hat. That is that it was a "trucker style" hat that had bleached straw in the front that didn't take the embroidery well. Understand that I never intended to sell ANY of your hats or mass produce your designs. If you think that I have you should have come straight to the source first. I am not shady or unreachable at all. It was a one time job that was intended for fun. Further, since I never actually sold any copy of your designs, I am well within my rights. You however, have no right to post this assumption based on heresay. I have no intention of bringing up this incident as long as it is responded to publicly here by you, Mr. Bill Strong. I know that as adults we can handle this together. It is you trying to defile my name and so either you apologize here or just erase your post if you can't stand to man up publicly. I'm sure that if you'd like to check with your legal representative you'll see, I gotcha. So until then I myself apologize for the frustration you may have felt, but, this is the truth.

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you make or sell any item with my logo on it, without my permission you are violating US Trademark Law.
Might want to check your email...
also you have posted on one of your image website my logos, which again are trademarked and copyrighted items which you never asked for permission to post or use.

Dude, I have done this many many times over the last 10 years. It is like this, stop making the items. If you still have them, take a picture to prove the design is not mine, if it is then you will need to send me all of the articles that you have made. We will call it even and I will not pursue legal action. If you can't do this, please let me know and I will forward to my lawyer for further action.
I know that sometimes people make mistakes due to ignorance to the laws, and I know that ignorance is no excuse, but I am willing to work with you on this issue. We can keep it public, I have no issue with that.

Thank you and I await your decision on how we will pursue this problem.

Bill Strong

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I THINK (my bad if not) Jeremy was the one who asked about if you worked for Bill or not. But he's not the one who took the hat in question, that would have been one of the Tucson guys. Afraid I don't remember his name, I'm so terrible with those unless I see you a lot.

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as a reference, the only people that sell my clothing will be TwosRus or Racing Strong. I think that KBox may have done some in the past for the Canadian crew.
We do donate a lot of gear to events for giveaways each year.

I do not care who has them. I just want them off the street. My offer stands. send me the one hat, and I will send you a real one, unless you are fridays_knights, whereas please see post #4.

·
Registered
51 Posts
proof is in the pudding

Once again, since I NEVER sold any hats, I am well within the copyright law as I also have never solicited myself as being affiliated with any of your companies. Furthermore, if you'd like to pursue legal action against me please feel free. Since I can see now that you are unreasonable and have just barely tried to contact me, only after I responded to your defamation. Like my previous statement said, it was the truth. The 2 that were made were made for fun, not for mass production. Then when I gave it away, to whomever it was, that was the end of it. I never intended to mass produce, or sell your design. I guess this is just another case of he said, she said, that people like you love to crowd our justice system with. The only problem is this, 1) I never sold any hats, and you can't prove that I did. 2) The website that does have your design on it (the site website) is a free public website, where I do not solicit either yours, or my own designs. It's there actually more for my private enjoyment and love for this club, rather than to sell any wares of any kind. 3) You never attempted to contact or ask me about the incident prior to your public defamation and potential loss of wages of my private company. As I may have had some clients come from this website that now may think of me as dubious or underhanded. Which I am not. So as I said please do me a favor and file suit. Like I said before, I have no intention of pursuing this incident further, but only on the stipulation that I receive a public apology right here, in the same public forum where I was defamed and slandered unrightfully, by you Mr. Bill Strong. It doesn't matter how long you've been doing this, wrong is wrong, and from my experience legally, your standing on water.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
1) I never sold any hats
But you admit to trying to sell them;

So I asked the other Mr2 people at the meet if someone might want to buy it from me.
When no one got interested, you decided to give them away. Free counterfeit items are still counterfeit. You don't have to be selling them to be breaking the law, although that's an even higher offense.

On that note; Bill you've got a PM.

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AW11ERIC, that was used with permission.

fridays_knights

from Racing Strong Motorsports <[email protected]>
to [email protected]
date Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM
subject Selling MR2OC Gear
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details Dec 7 (2 days ago)

I hear that you may be selling MR2OC logo'ed gear.
Is this true?
---
Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports

so, now that I proved that I sent you email....
There will be no apology public or private from me to you. You made on your own machine a cap that used a trademarked logo. That trademark is held by me. You attempted to sell said trademarked logo. Failed. Then gave the trademarked logo to another person.
You currently have one copy of my trademarked logo in your possession. I will soon have the other in mine.
By using my trademarked logo without my permission you are guilty of trademark infringement.
AMF, Inc v Sleekcraft Boats, 599 F.2d 341 (C.A.9) 1979
In re E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., 476 F.2d 1357, 177 USPQ 563 (CCPA 1973)

1. You gave the hat away. I will have the hat in afew days.
2. This website is owned by me and me only. Everything on this website I own.
3. copy of sent email is above.

I have stated what I want done. I need a picture of the hat. I then need the hat sent to me. and we will then be done with this.

The ball is in your court.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I am a graphic Designer / artist so I know a lot about this issue

anything created, or written is automatically trade marked to the write / designer. The logo mark represents the company and in no way, shape, or form can that logo be used without the written expression of said company. If said company has a really big issue they usually will send a cease and desist letter. You must surrender all items with said logo and all profits future / present made with the use of that creation.

a lot of people thing because something is public its free to use, you can not just go take a photo of a famous building and use it to make posters to sell. The building in itself is its own copyright

i have to alert clients to this all the time when they ask for photography with background images.

Same reason when you watch TV and they pull out a can of pop and it looks like a pepsi can but never says pepsi anywhere on it. They cant use there logo without permission

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
me too, as I work for the University of Virginia, I design websites and t-shirts for them, so I deal with these issues everyday.

I have a letter ready to go, but thought I would pursue this on a more personal level. If he does not want to go that route, I'll start with the other things next.

He seems like a smart guy by the way he makes his sentences.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I don't see why he can't just send you the hat(s) in question and be done with this. A mistake was made. Why try to push it further by arguing?

Good luck with everything, Bill. :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
for everyone's info.....

for the record, just to let everyone know, there were two hats made. one for myself and one for my husband, in our home. those two hats were specificly for the Tucson meet, intended for personal use only. we are not a business, and we have never intended to be a business. i decided not to wear mine because frankly, the logo is crap, i didnt like it. so my husband gave it to someone else. thats all there is to it. so instead of crying over a single hat you should be flattered that someone is actually willing to sport around such a poorly illustrated logo. take some advice: get your ass out from behind your keyboard, go into the REAL world and start a REAL car club. because for as long as you have been doing this you really havent accomplished much.

ps
have fun with your cease and desist.....because you never know who is on the other end of the keyboard....

see you on the streets bitches.....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
FriDayz_giRl said:
those two hats were specificly for the Tucson meet, intended for personal use only. we are not a business, and we have never intended to be a business.
So I asked the other Mr2 people at the meet if someone might want to buy it from me.
and said that I had just made the 2 on my machine at home, but if anyone had some designs they might want embroidered to let me know because I do have the machine. Figured I could make a couple of bucks maybe, besides my designs are just as good if not better, too.
So, let me get this straight. You both say they were intended for personal use only. Not that it matters, that is still in violation of the law and using Bill's trademarked design is illegal.

More over, once you decided to change your intentions, you offered them for sale in a public setting. Your husband admitted to that, clear as day. When he couldn't sell one, he gave it away. After giving it away, he offered his embroidery services in order to "make a few bucks". But, you claim you are not a business and don't intend to be?
Instead, you make sample products and advertise them to potential customers, and then offer your services to those same potential customers in a public setting. Sounds like a way to rack up business, advertise, and make money to me.

Before you post more, I'd suggest at least getting a story that doesn't put your foot in your mouth. I can see this being an innocent mistake like Bill mentioned, ignorance of the law, etc. But you aren't taking the right path to correct the situation, and posting insults and acting defensively about it only makes you look like a cheat and a thief.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
FriDayz_giRl said:
for the record, just to let everyone know, there were two hats made. one for myself and one for my husband, in our home. those two hats were specificly for the Tucson meet, intended for personal use only. we are not a business, and we have never intended to be a business. i decided not to wear mine because frankly, the logo is crap, i didnt like it. so my husband gave it to someone else. thats all there is to it. so instead of crying over a single hat you should be flattered that someone is actually willing to sport around such a poorly illustrated logo. take some advice: get your ass out from behind your keyboard, go into the REAL world and start a REAL car club. because for as long as you have been doing this you really havent accomplished much.

ps
have fun with your cease and desist.....because you never know who is on the other end of the keyboard....

I'm just going to quote this so it doesn't get edited away from the public.

·
Registered
3 Posts
....still were not "sold"....i dont care what u say

also, there is a big difference between doing favors for people with whom you share a common interest and trying to start a home based business, which we are not....moron

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
FriDayz_giRl said:
ps

E-thug on the loose!

Seriously, how can this possibly be construed as legitimate. You guys copied copyrighted material and admitted to trying to sell it. Then you say that it's no big deal because you couldn't sell it.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
FriDayz_giRl said:
also, there is a big difference between doing favors for people with whom you share a common interest and trying to start a home based business
To you, maybe. To trademark and copyright law, no there is not. This is why we have laws like this, to stop small town people from ripping off legitimate business' and claiming that it was just "harmless intentions" and then profiting off of it.

If all you wanted to do was make some hats for a meet, you could have contacted the owner of the design and asked permission. As Bill said in this very thread, he sometimes lets people use his logo for meet giveaways and prizes. He's a reasonable guy, believe it or not. Instead you've stolen from him and now you're pretty much spitting in his face since he's found out. Like I said before, you're nto taking the right path to correcting the situation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts