MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum here so forgive me if I do something wrong. I have an 87 n/a bluetop which I picked up for $300 and just got it driving. When i'm braking for a few seconds or more and come to a stop the engine dies. I've inspected the vacuum lines and found nothing. The car idles normal otherwise. Near 2k rpm on cold start and around 850 when warm, I have read that is normal. Any other things I can check?
(I'm trying to solve two issues in one thread, i hope that's ok.)
Secondly. The car had a pretty good fender bender and all front body panels were replaced. And when I apply the brake my guage lights come on about 50% strength, and the fronf turn signals come on about 50% strength. If I use my left or right signal, said signal flashes at 100% strength and the other side stays at 50%. I'm guessing someone hooked something up wrong? Is there a ground i can check? Any certain relay I can check? Any help with either of these issues is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2 issues

I would try a couple items first. On top the the TB you will see a black rubber plug, about 10mm in dia. under the plug is an adjustment screw that you allow you to bring up the idle speed. The tail lite I would guess that al you need is the right wattage bulb, if you have a good ground. Dave W

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Isn't the car supposed to "idle up" when the brakes lights are on? I wouldn't think they used that much current, but I've seen circuits for that.

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
... braking for a few seconds or more and come to a stop the engine dies....

...when I apply the brake my guage lights come on about 50% strength...

...If I use my left or right signal, said signal flashes at 100% strength and the other side stays at 50%.
There is a device called the "dash pot" that is supposed to delay throttle closing by a second or two. You could check to see if that is operating.

This is strange. More information please. What do you mean by "gauge lights?"

Front signals, back signals, or both?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As in the lights in my guage cluster (with my speedo, tach etc.) and the lights within the heater console come on too, I forgot to mention those. those come on about half strength when the brake is applied along with the guage lights mentioned earlier. And it is just the front Signals. Very odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Dave W it idles perfectly normal, it just dies whrn braking for more than a few seconds. it does not need to be adjusted, and it is my front turn signals that are coming on when the brake is applied, not any rear lights.

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
As in the lights in my guage cluster (with my speedo, tach etc.) and the lights within the heater console come on too, I forgot to mention those. those come on about half strength when the brake is applied along with the guage lights mentioned earlier. And it is just the front Signals.
The ground for the rear light clusters is missing. That is located on the rear-most panel of the car. It is probably your front parking lights that are illuminating rather than the directionals, but that is just a technicality. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you give me a more precise location for this ground you're speaking of? I need a Hayne's or Chilton manual..

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
Just remove the rear cover in the trunk and look. The wires that go to the screw in the body are the grounds. The manuals probably won't give you any more information than that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts