MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyways i drove to sf the other day to pick up my gf and bring her home... turned off the car waited for her to get there.. then when i started the car again the idle was kinda low ... like in the 600s and car felt like it was studdering as if i had put seafoam in it again... anyways it lasted for a cpl secs then idle was fine... it drives normally boosts normally.. but every now and then when i start to slow down and come to a stop.. my idle dips to 600 and car again feels studdery and its like that for just 5-10 secs and then it shoots right back up to high 700-mid 800s... any ideas? i did boost a bit on the way to sf and when i got home noticed that one of my intercooler pipes came off a bit so i retightened that one but i havent checked the rest.. im guessing maybe another came loose? vacc leak? i noticed this a first time when i installed the avcr but never really noticed it after that until the other day.. any ideas?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine only does that after I disconnect (and then reconnect) the battery. The computer takes a little while to relearn the idle setpoint.

·
Registered
254 Posts
jizeff fah sho said:
anyways i drove to sf the other day to pick up my gf and bring her home... turned off the car waited for her to get there.. then when i started the car again the idle was kinda low ... like in the 600s and car felt like it was studdering as if i had put seafoam in it again... anyways it lasted for a cpl secs then idle was fine... it drives normally boosts normally.. but every now and then when i start to slow down and come to a stop.. my idle dips to 600 and car again feels studdery and its like that for just 5-10 secs and then it shoots right back up to high 700-mid 800s... any ideas? i did boost a bit on the way to sf and when i got home noticed that one of my intercooler pipes came off a bit so i retightened that one but i havent checked the rest.. im guessing maybe another came loose? vacc leak? i noticed this a first time when i installed the avcr but never really noticed it after that until the other day.. any ideas?
By any chance did you open the radiator and not tighten it fully? I did that once (can you say D-U-M-B) and after driving for 5mins with the engine warmed up, I saw the same symptoms. RPM dips to 500-600, feels like it will stall, bounce up, drops down ... Air in the cooling system ...

Cheers,
8J2_93T

·
Registered
540 Posts
would it make you feel like you have a miss?? and why would that make you have a miss?? i dont understand how air in the system could do that??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well its not that it bounces up and down, occasionally maybe 2/6 times when i come to a stop my idle will be at around 600 then itll shortly go back to 800 rpms and stay there no i didnt take off the radiator cap

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well checked all my intercooler piping and vacc hoses and theyre all good... so im thinking maybe ignition components? i just bought a oem cap rotor and plug wires and am gonna change those out today after work... hopefully that fixes it... any other ideas of what would cause this? to be more specific.. when i come to a stop my idle is at about 500-600... car studders a bit and feels as if its going to stall.. but after about 10 seconds idle goes up to 800-850 and stays there... any help plz thx

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also i dont have any other symptoms... i.e car drives fine and cold start idle is around 1500-2000... problem doesnt start till its warmed up and i start to drive... any other ideas... thx in advance

·
Registered
499 Posts
my new jdm gen II swap does the exact same thing, and i don't know why, sometimes it idles fine and then sometimes it idles so low it feels like its going to stall, does anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yah... so far no responses so i just picked up a set of plug wires and a cap and rotor oem from a friends shop and i plan to put those on after work ill let u know how that goes...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well just changed my cap rotor and plug wires.... and the spark plugs... still no difference =( when i rev it and let it come back down the idle drops to about 500-600 car shakes as if it wants to die and the boost gauge reads 10 vacc... i have no clue whats causing this and any help would be much appreciated =( thx

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was having a problem where idle would drop when the car is just warming up, in stop and go traffic it would die. After checking the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) I fixed it by turning up the idle adjustment screw.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
csandys said:
I was having a problem where idle would drop when the car is just warming up, in stop and go traffic it would die. After checking the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) I fixed it by turning up the idle adjustment screw.
i wish taht was all that was wrong with mine but i did a compression check today
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=84966
results in that thread =(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts