MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been letting this leak for thousands of miles so now I'm taking care of it. I had thought I would pull the covers off to find the cams or crank seal leaking, but it doesn't look like it.
The alternator and oil pan were first coated. Lots of oil on the crossmember and everything on the rear, right side of the engine.
I definitely had a valve cover leak, but it's mostly contained at this point.
Ideas? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/NNsb4

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well it looks like you have the engine out so replace all the seals now.

But it looks like the oil pump was leaking the most.

·
Registered
862 Posts
lol, that'll teach me for posting before first coffee of the day. Didn't notice engine was out of car.
Replace oil pump gasket, oil pump seal and crank front main seal while its out of car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up:
Oil pump was leaking a bit, changed the other seals on the front of the engine. I get the engine back in the car and it's still leaking pretty bad. I got one of those UV dye kits and found that it's leaking from the corner of the valve cover near the oil filler cap.
I ordered a new valve cover gasket even though that one wasn't that old. I changed that out with new FIPG, bolts torqued to spec and it still leaks.
On the advice of a friend I tightened the bolts further, snug with a bit driver, and it still leaks.

:bsflag:

I'm about to take the cover back off to see what I can find, but has anyone had this much trouble getting the valve cover to seal?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I recently over-torqued my valve cover bolts which caused a leak in that same area. Also had and oil pan leak a few years back that had me stumped for a while because I was finding oil on the alternator. Turns out that the oil was getting on to the inner axle and would be flung up to the alternator and bottom side of the intake manifold when the inner axle was spinning when the car was in motion. I was searching up top when the leak was actually down at the oil pan. +1 on the cleaning though. It'll definitely make easier to pinpoint the leak. And think outside the box if you get stumped. (like in my case), Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently over-torqued my valve cover bolts which caused a leak in that same area. Also had and oil pan leak a few years back that had me stumped for a while because I was finding oil on the alternator. Turns out that the oil was getting on to the inner axle and would be flung up to the alternator and bottom side of the intake manifold when the inner axle was spinning when the car was in motion. I was searching up top when the leak was actually down at the oil pan. +1 on the cleaning though. It'll definitely make easier to pinpoint the leak. And think outside the box if you get stumped. (like in my case), Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.
Thanks for the idea. My leak(s) hit the alternator and the axle and get flung around similar to yours.
I guess I can't totally discount the oil pan, but I think mine is the valve cover this time because just running the engine shows oil at the top right near the cover. Then I think it drips down on everything else, getting flung by the ALT and then the axle too when moving.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Could be the cam seals, then.
That's a fairly common source of leakage, especially if it emanates from the upper timing cover area.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be the cam seals, then.
That's a fairly common source of leakage, especially if it emanates from the upper timing cover area.
I replaced the cam seals last month, the old ones had maybe a little seepage, but no real leak.
My current leak is fast enough that after driving a few miles and parking a puddle the size of a cell phone will form.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.