MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

I want 230-280rwhp, any reccomendations

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  IPS Ryan 
#1 ·
I have a 91 na with a 93 jdm 3sgte (34k miles), intake, and hks hyper exhaust. What can I do to achieve 230-260rwhp reliably?

#3 ·
mr2biker91 said:
I have a 91 na with a 93 jdm 3sgte (34k miles), intake, and hks hyper exhaust. What can I do to achieve 230-260rwhp reliably?

CT20B, upgraded intercooler, downpipe, your hks exhaust, Boost controller.
Water injection for realibility. Clutch stage 2 would be nice, stage 3 if you
want to drag a bit.

and umm the search button ;)

#8 ·
shavedturbo said:
did you upgrade your fuel pump when you did the swap?
Yes, last weekend I put the walbro 255 intake in there.

If I upgarde the turbo is it safe to use without upgraded ic, fpr/fuel gauge/safc?, and what boost would it be safe at and what power would it make. Also I dont want to get to much more lag time as I like to autox.

#9 ·
i think you should get the ct27 then if you want to autox. it is probably the best bang for the buck and will have quick spool like you are looking for. i have the same goal of you right now(~270hp). I think you should upgrade your intercooler if you want some nice hp. you shouldnt really boost higher than 15 psi until you do to be safe. thats what i would do if i was you.

-scott

#11 · (Edited)
Its not just a rebuilt turbo. There is alot of machining and research that you are paying for as well. To get the results they did, I imagine they killed 10-15 ct26's AT LEAST to get the results they wanted. Then there is the time and research to get what they got. And then there is the machining each turbo along with the parts and labor you are paying for. If only you ever owned a business or attempted to make a profit on something you made and put time into, you would understand. I also dont want to dog on anybody who sells EMS's or anything, I am actually sticking up for them. You are paying $1500+ for about $10 in metal and $100 in wire plus $200 in sensors or something.(That is just a guess, I have no idea) That is not the point AT ALL. You pay for their months and months, if not years of research and development to bring you what they have. Then there is the stupid hours of phonecalls from people asking things about it and having problems because they are ignorant. Businesses have to take into account that time that they will spend with each product sold as well. The consumer never sees all that goes into these products. If you dont like it, dont buy it.

#12 ·
Consider that you'd pay $600+ for a used ct20b, which isn't notoriously reliable to begin with, $850 for a freshly rebuilt ct27 with slightly better power potential doesn't seem like a bad deal at all, IMO.

#13 ·
93smgturbo said:
Its not just a rebuilt turbo. There is alot of machining and research that you are paying for as well. To get the results they did, I imagine they killed 10-15 ct26's AT LEAST to get the results they wanted. Then there is the time and research to get what they got. And then there is the machining each turbo along with the parts and labor you are paying for. If only you ever owned a business or attempted to make a profit on something you made and put time into, you would understand. I also dont want to dog on anybody who sells EMS's or anything, I am actually sticking up for them. You are paying $1500+ for about $10 in metal and $100 in wire plus $200 in sensors or something.(That is just a guess, I have no idea) That is not the point AT ALL. You pay for their months and months, if not years of research and development to bring you what they have. Then there is the stupid hours of phonecalls from people asking things about it and having problems because they are ignorant. Businesses have to take into account that time that they will spend with each product sold as well. The consumer never sees all that goes into these products. If you dont like it, dont buy it.

That is an excellent point, thank you.

Can someone give me some opinions they have had after installing the ct27?

#18 ·
mr2biker91 said:
:)...Me like. I'm starting to lean towards the ct27 now. Does anyone know about the longevity of this turbo. My car is a daily driver with 40-60miles everyday and 50-80% of that I hit peak boost.
50-80%?!?! Do you drive around at 140mph all the time? I'm sure I'll be attacked for this statement, but don't blindly jump into buying a ct27 just because a couple of people say so. It is actually $1150 and you get a core trade in after you send your stock ct26 back to them. A ct20b won't necessarily cost $600+ and its performance is very close to that of the ct27. I paid $545 shipped for my ct20b and sold my ct26 for $200, so I basically paid $345 shipped for the ct20b and it has held up very well running 15-16psi daily, and I average 100 miles of driving a day. For the power level you are looking for you might want to find a ct20b for the right price before you jump into the ct27.
That's just my 2 cents though, it's your choice.

#19 ·
Turbolvr has a good point. you can get the ct20b for much cheaper if you find one for a good price and you are able to sell your ct26. The only downsides is it has the ceramic wheel which may or may not break, is used, and the power capability isnt quite that of the ct27. This is when you decide wether you want to spend the extra money for the ct27 or if you will be satisfied w/the ct20b. the ct20b seems to be half the price if you can find one for a good price and are able to sell your ct26. They are both great turbos, it just becomes personal preferance at this point.

#20 ·
Well I go through a quarter tank of gas everyday on the stock 7-9psi, sometimes I can manage to hold back some. (I have had the car for almost a month since the swap, and I just can't get enough boost:))

Well I've been reading the power primer listed, and I think that it might be best to go through its list and then once im at that 240-260rwhp and can't do anything else but upgrade turbo I'll decide from that.

#23 ·
some will experince boost creep on the internal gate turbo with an open exhaust.
the external gate fixed that problem. some complane about the DP cracking but I think it has more to due to people not useing the support bracket. I have been verry happy with my internal gate TD06

#24 ·
Lmackattack said:
some will experince boost creep on the internal gate turbo with an open exhaust.
the external gate fixed that problem. some complane about the DP cracking but I think it has more to due to people not useing the support bracket. I have been verry happy with my internal gate TD06
I'm happy with my internally gated one as well, had it for a year now. The stock oil lines sucked but I [salespitch] developed my own. Email me for details, Justins311@hotmail.com [/salespitch] :thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.