MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i originally planned out the mod list for my mr2 it was nice and simple. a ct-27, intercooler, fcd, exhaust, possible intake, boost controller, and violla ive got a reliable set up for 250 whp. some how now ive got 10 different mods pulling me 20 different ways. so now to be relable i need 550cc injectors, a fuel pump, and a rom tune. thats a lot more money for 250whp and a lot more work than i had thought. i for one do not even have a clue how to replace a fuel pump, but from what i hear, its a pain in the ass. then when it comes to the rom tune i am completely confused. i mean im reading all this stuff about alternate timing maps and cold weather timing change lockouts. it seems like this rom tune is gonna hurt my car rather than help me get the performance i need. i would think that locking out the computers timing maps for low octane or cold weather would be a problem, becuase what if the car starts pinging, wont the computer not be able to change the timing? and 91 is the highest octane i can get here in cali, and i have no clue what so ever how to make race gas. seems like the fuel cut can only be set at 27psi or 17 psi, i was thinking i would like it around 20, because i may want to set my boost to 17 or 18 once, but i sure dont want the fuel cut set to 27. also it almost scares me to be messing around with my engine management what if something goes wrong and my engine fries? also i have no clue about injectors. do these 550cc's bolt right onto the fuel rail or do i need to to more modification for that. and do they just plug right in. at the moment i am totally confused and i do not want to spend an upwards of 1000 for mods that i dont even need to have for my desired whp. please help!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
My advice would be to not jump in to quickly. As you are realizing things can get real expensive real quick. Take it slow. Find you a used CT26 for now, and maybe upgrade your intercooler. Then do the exhaust if you havent already. Install a downpipe. These mods will give you some good bang for your buck for now. And they are simple to do.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
yeah mods have a way of snowballing there is always something else do you have a daily? best mr2 mod you can ever do is get a daily ... I bought my car 5 months ago have not driven it once. I so far have a bored motor je pistons (not planned mods mind you) oversized valves ported and polished head, ats valvesprings, adjustable cam gears ( these were planned) what I need left ... missing motor parts from dealership = lots of money (not planned) nemesis II if i ever want a smooth motor dyno time to tune it (lots of money) a solid exhaust to not restrict my motor, suspension (strut spring combo) new clutch and flywheel .... out of that last part only the clutch and suspension was planned .... just ease up on your project and gather parts on the side or if you have a daily just be patient you'll drive her one day ... that's what I tell myself

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a dd, and its not as if i am incapable, its just getting a little crazy. i was fine until the injectors fuel pump and rom tune came in. ive already had the engine out, so im pretty comfortable with the car. its when im getting into this computer stuff that im confused. i think i need to find a really good readup on the rom tune and i will be alright. also hopefully someone could explain installing the fuel pump.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
the rom tune is plug and play solution. YOU don't tune it, ATS pretunes it to your modifications and sends it to you, swap it out and drive it around. At least that's what i gathered from reading it. The stuff about timing and etc that they talk about is what they may have done to the tune to get it to run better etc etc.

Fuel pump is a PITA mostly becuase you have to drop the tank. what mods are causing you to change the pump, 550's etc etc? if you have a turbo car (or a swap car with a supra,turbo, or walbro pump) you shouldn't need bigger injectors to get 250whp. I'm looking to push 260-270 on the stock injectors.

my deuce is a DD as well, oh well, i want to buy a 500cc sport bike to DD tho...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a turbo mr2. to run 250 whp reliably people say that you should change the stock injectors and fuel pump so that you arent maxing them out and possibly causing reliability issues.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Boz said:
Fuel pump is a PITA mostly becuase you have to drop the tank. what mods are causing you to change the pump, 550's etc etc? if you have a turbo car (or a swap car with a supra,turbo, or walbro pump) you shouldn't need bigger injectors to get 250whp. I'm looking to push 260-270 on the stock injectors..
I agree. I believe the stock 3SGTE pump and injectors will handle 250 BWHP. RickyB has a post somewhere proving that. It once you start shooting for the 300 mark that you need to address fuel.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
red_91duece said:
i have a turbo mr2. to run 250 whp reliably people say that you should change the stock injectors and fuel pump so that you arent maxing them out and possibly causing reliability issues.
you aren't maxing out your injectors at 250. however with my goals (see sig), is closer to max on pump. i don't remember for sure, but i recall someone local with a 3s saying 270 is roughly 80-85% duty cycle, so with 250whp, you DEFINATELY have room for error. 65-75% duty cycle maybe?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts