MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Original
10,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got in the car today to head to my doctors office, and as i was pulling out of my carport, i noticed that is a blipped the throttle, i could hear a deep intake sound.... kinda like a stock civic with just an intake...

well, once i got out on the open road, i was in 3rd gear, and i punched it at around 3000 rpms. now normally, at about 3800rpms i would start to hear "the whistle" and then at 4250rpms i would hear the TVIS valves open. not now, all i hear is a deep growl from about 3500rpms and no change whatsoever at 4250rpms like i am used to. i havent yet started feeling around under the intake manifold to see if there are some loose vacuum lines, but i suspect that its either the vacuum line that runs to the TVIS "solonoid" or somehow the tvis plates got stuck...... maybe too much gunk (like what you would find in the throttle body if its never been cleaned out)

i may have it figured out, but i would like to hear other theories. what else would make these plates stick open?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Strange. Does it have more or less low end power?

·
Original
10,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MR2Fast2Catch said:
Strange. Does it have more or less low end power?

less, it almost wants to stall whenever i take off from a redlight now. i have to kinda feather the throttle, or just mash it if i let off the clutch too fast.

it is really weird to hear my intake at 3000 rpms.

G

·
Just dont use Duct Tape to fix it. (Long story... those of you who remember my fiasco with duct tape and my SMG MK1 and the fire....will laugh)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did a tvis open and a tvis closed run on the dyno. You don't want your tvis open before 4400rpm's, very bad for power.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
othick said:
I did a tvis open and a tvis closed run on the dyno. You don't want your tvis open before 4400rpm's, very bad for power.
That's what we keep trying to tell people. Some folks are just hard to convince. ;)

Toymdngn: Check to see that the vacuum lines haven't come off the TVIS VSV or vacuum diaphragm, and that you have vacuum supplied to the diaphragm at idle.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
This is with a set of mild cams, but the effect is the same.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep, that's what mine looked like too (but with less power). I actually wondered if the tvis being closed for a few hundred more rpm's would help. I'm just put tvis on a small port head (adaptor) and I'm going to see how it works on the dyno. Just a curiosity thing.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so i got under the car tonight, and found that i have no vacuum to my TVIS solenoid. i thought that this was the reason:

i can not figure out where this hose goes, plus wherever it came from, it broke the plastic little nipple off which is why i thing i am having vacuum leak issues.

this is what the hose and the nipple that is broken off looks like out of the car:

now i have a pretty loud vacuum leak from somewhere under the intake manifold, but i can not find it for the life of me......

any ideas where this mistery vacuum hose goes??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.