MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not trying to take the MR2 rallying but I do have a 1995 integra Ls 4dr that I want to start turning into a rally machine, I've been reading the Rally America rules and regulations book for a little while now, what would be the least expensive way to get into this sport? I'm dealing with a stock integra, which I was going to bring up to specification accordingly (rollcage, harness' etc. etc.). I already have a few buddies of mine that are willing to help with being crew members at no cost. From what I understand, I guess you have to start with a 2WD class then move onto 4WD? Is that right?

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If you want to rally, don't bother with rallyx. The real deal is hugely more entertaining. It would be cheap as hell to cage and prep your acura to rally. Keep it simple for starters because it is pretty likely that you will crash the ____ out of it. Just make sure your cage is top notch along with the rest of your safety gear and you will have fun.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Rallycross would be the way to start. That would be the way to shake down the car and learn how it handles in different situations.

I would also run a few road rallies to learn the communication between navigator and driver and also learn the ins and outs of the controls and such.

Then I would get into running stage rally. Too many times people jump in and get overwhelmed by everything all at once. I would also suggest working some rallies to get to know what goes on behind the scenes. This will also go a long way to helping you get into the rally community. You gain hella respect from working the rallies first and then competing.

I've been organizing and working rallies for nearly 10 years now. I enjoy it, but I would like to get into competing as well. The thing is it is very expensive. The car is the least of your expenses. Entry fees, hotel, fuel for the race car and towing, food, etc. It adds up very quickly.

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
I agree with Matchbx: If you want to get into Stage Rally do some TSD (time speed distance) rallies first. Route books, timing, speed and directions make up a substantial portion of Stage Rally.

You don't need a prepped car, you only need a car, a stop watch and a codriver. The route book, the stages and the like are just directions through public roads. The expense is minimal.

I also agree that the cost of the car is the lesser of the expenses...

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are right.

Work at a rally to gain some insight into what goes on. You will learn a lot doing that. The people in rally are the best. We love to help each other out and help bring new people to the sport. Meeting people at a rally and asking them questions is a great way to learn about the sport. Don't be intimidated about going up and asking any of the drivers or service crew questions. They honestly want to help bring more people in to the fold.

From a cost perspective buying a used car is cheapest. I built mine and had a great time doing it but it took a little while. I'll list some of the costs for building a car and some for events.

Car:
Cage $500 in steel. If you have a tubing bender and welder and can fabricate you are set. If not then expect around $2000 for cage installation by a good fabricator.
Seats $500 for a pair of seats
Harnesses $250
Fire extinguishers $100
Skid plate $150
Tires $600

With that you should be able to go out and have fun. There are some smaller things that you have to have but those are the main things.

Safety gear:
Helmet $200
HANS $800
Driving suit $200

Event:
Entry fees average around $600 for a weekend
Hotel $150 for 3 days or so.
Gas to tow out $300 or more just depends on how far away it is
Whatever you break $

I usually spend around $2000 per event. That includes a couple new tires on top of the above.

If you have events that are close by and you camp out you can save quite a bit. I only spend about $500 to do our hill climbs which are an entire weekend long. They are close by, only cost $200 to enter and we camp out.

That's a start. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts