MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I REALLY appreciate all of the insight and help everyone has offered me.

I just ordered (through tire rack):
Kosei 15X7 with the 225/45/15 Khumo (heat cycled and shaved)
Kosei 16X8.5 with the 265/45/16 Khumo (heat cycled and shaved)

$1384.36 mounted, balanced, shaved, heatcycled and delivered

The ONLY problem is the fronts are white and the rears are silver. For whatever stupid reason, they do not make the 15s in silver or the 16s in white. DOH! ... can you say powder coating? *smile*

I ordered this stuff, but the order is NOT processed for 10 days.
If you see a problem with my logic let me know so I can cancel it! .... thank you so much.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would rather have matching colors for rims. Im sure EL PAALO can chime in and recommend a place that can source them for you.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, but they simply aren't made in those sizes and colors for whatever reason.
I'll just get the silver ones powder coated white.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
white = shows brake dust terribly

why not strip the white ones and have them done in silver..?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Which tires are you going with. I think the only Kumho in 224/45/15 is the ECSTA V700. I haven't heard anything good about them.

Why not run 215/40/16 V710's for the front instead? Better tire on the same color rim. The width is only a little smaller, but the overall diameter is the same. I would think that the increase traction from the better tire would make up for the decrease in width.

-Scott

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kbrew, I just amy do that. Get them PC to match my engine pieces :D

sab "I haven't heard anything good about them." ... that is not the same as saying you heard bad about them :) ... they are fairly new - correct? Have you heard anything bad about them? (thanks Scott)

I am going with the V700's for size reasons. I want to try the 225 & 265 combo.
I have been running a 215 & 235 combo with regular street tires (Falken GRBs).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
did u get the k-1's?
i have them in white
they r nice but they are a b1tch to keep clean
i have 16x7.5 with 215 40 16 and 16x8.5 with 245 45 16

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the K1s.
I was told the 16X8.5 was not available in white?!

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
BTW - Jeks . . . I met an acquaintance of yours week before last at the Convention - Matt Green . . ..

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah yes, he is good guy. We have a mutual friend Brian Bradley. Brian owns an 88SC, an 87 FX16 SC form the MR2!, a Typhoon, WRX Wagon,a Sprint Turbo and 2 3SGTE Celicas. Brian likes forced induction :D

Matt Green is a good guy, he helps run the hill climbs around here.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i dont think it is available anymore in white in that size
i got mine used
what offsets did u get?
i got a +43 in the front and a +37 in the rear and its slightly tucked (looks good tho)
tim

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
sab "I haven't heard anything good about them." ... that is not the same as saying you heard bad about them :) ... they are fairly new - correct? Have you heard anything bad about them? (thanks Scott)
I just heard that the performance was about the same as the VictoRacers, but that they have a much higher chance of chunking, especially if you don't get them shaved. They also don't last as long. I've heard they are not a good tire for road racing, although I think they should be ok for short hill climbs though.

HTH.

-Scott

p.s. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that you can get the 16" rim in 7.5" width, which will help as well.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I was happy with the victoracers when I had them, but they are not available in the sizes I wanted.

I am using these for hill climbs & autocrosses and I did order them heat treated & shaved.

Why do you say the 7.5" width would help? I think that is too narrow for a 265.

Thanks Scott.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
I've used the VR V700's, but not the Ecsta's (of any generation). I do know the SCCA excluded the first generation of V710 Ecsta's because of belt delamination at high speed / hysteresis, but they've supposedly fixed that. FWIW, the VR V700's were nowhere close to the Hoosiers in grip, but they'd last almost for ever.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So no expereinces with the Ecsta V700s? ... are they that new?

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotcha ... but then they do not have an appropriate tire size (of course *sigh*).

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I know you want to run 225's up front, but I think that 215/40R16 Kuhmo 710 on a 7.5" rim would be better than 225/45R15 Ecsta V700's on a 7" rim.

From what I have read, the 710 performs better than the VictoRacers and the Ecsta V700, but wears faster. But, the 710's do not need to be shaved.

-Scott

1 - 20 of 53 Posts