MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 85 mr2 its bone stock and it has a 4a-ge and i want to swap the engine but i have no clue with what or what i want to do can some one help me out on what to do thanks.... steve

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
In other words; why do you want to swap it? The stock 4AG is (even 15 years after it was built) still one of the highest specific output mass market engines in the world.

Is it worn out, or do you just want more power? IMHO, the most practical swap for a good bit more go is to install a small-port 4AGZE (supercharged) engine out of a JDM AE101. The best bet for that is to find a front clip somewhere like Jarco, so you have all the wiring and parts. That clip, alone, will cost you about $1800.

One minor problem - if you consider it as such, is that changing to a supercharged transmission on a '85 or '86 car is no easy task. The GZE will, however, bolt up to the stock transmission - it's just not quite as strong as the S/C transmissions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i need it as a daily driver but i want to swap it and i want alot of hp i need to save up money for something.i was thinking on a 4a-gze but i need some help on the motor i don't have the money right now and i don't think i have have it anytime soon so any help would be great

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
o.k. if i were to supercharge the 4a-ge would that be my best bet and if it is and do u think i would need to supercharge my 4a-ge thanks for the help guys.if i were to supercharge my engine but it is be able to handle the power... well if anything i'll be on again soon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey would u guys know where i can find a wiring harnes and an ecu for a 20 valve well if anything just hit me back later guys

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
BethanyMark1 said:
hey would u guys know where i can find a wiring harnes and an ecu for a 20 valve well if anything just hit me back later guys
Changed your mind? You might check the parts forum here or Ebay--they occasionally come up for sale. You could supercharge your 4age---if you can round up the right 4agze parts. I'm still wondering myself how long such an engine would last.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah lol i did change my mind cause i have to motor i mean i have the 20 valve well i know that my 4age will not last cause first it have on oil leek and the motor start to over heat. thank u for looking at my post. see u around bro

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
BethanyMark1 said:
i know that my 4age will not last cause first it have on oil leek and the motor start to over heat.
how do you know it is a serious problem? from that description it could easily be air in the cooling system or a stuck thermostat, and a minor oil leak that simply requires a new gasket (distributor, oil pan, etc...). i just wouldn't want you to misdiagnose a perfectly fine engine. what does the coolant look like in the reservoir?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it looks brown but when i took it out it had like balls of something in there and i put new coolant in and it still over heats. well the oil leak is easy but i just don't want my car to over heat.the leak is behide the distributer on o ring as they call it i think.. and the hard part is trying to get the parts i have not a clue where to get a kit for my supercharger for my car if u can help me out the i would love to keep my car but i want to boost like hell and i don't think that my 4age can't take that kind of boost u know..well hope to hear from u soon later

·
Registered
747 Posts
The GZE will, however, bolt up to the stock transmission - it's just not quite as strong as the S/C transmissions.
I'm not picking you out of the crowd ITA-MR2 but do you know who said this? I'm interested in doing this swap (toyotaspeed90 just finished his) but I'd really like to know why everyone says this... Is this just an assumption or it there some evidence that it is really the case? I've heard that the C series transaxles will fail when mated to a GZE (esp a JDM GZE)... But I have not heard this from someone it has actually happened to so I am a bit skeptical... I'm thinking of running the tranny I have with a GZE since it is quite a bit lighter (possibly weaker too). All I want to know is if this is simply an assumption or not. I guess there is ultmately only one way to find out for sure... Those GZEs sure to have a lot of torque in the low end so I imagine if it did fail it could be quite and exciting event.

·
Registered
638 Posts
BethanyMark1 said:
it looks brown but when i took it out it had like balls of something in there and i put new coolant in and it still over heats. well the oil leak is easy but i just don't want my car to over heat.the leak is behide the distributer on o ring as they call it i think.. and the hard part is trying to get the parts i have not a clue where to get a kit for my supercharger for my car if u can help me out the i would love to keep my car but i want to boost like hell and i don't think that my 4age can't take that kind of boost u know..well hope to hear from u soon later
When you put the new coolant in, did you bleed the cooling system? If the cooling system is not bled properly and air stays in the system it can cause all kinds of problems.

Check this thread for info on bleeding the cooling system properly.

By the way...where in Miami are you? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
http://www.mr2oc.com/search.php?

this will give you every bit of info you'll ever need, and then some. You'll be on your way to fixing and swapping and dancing oh my

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
i think you should learn to diagnose and work on your na 4age before you "boost like hell". no need to be impatient; i imagine you have plenty of time. not trying to be a jerk, just my opinion ;). and your engine still sounds like it could be just fine; overheating is not at all a definate indication of a failing engine.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
MR2 VRI said:
I'm not picking you out of the crowd ITA-MR2 but do you know who said this? . . . Is this just an assumption or it there some evidence that it is really the case? I've heard that the C series transaxles will fail when mated to a GZE (esp a JDM GZE)... But I have not heard this from someone it has actually happened to so I am a bit skeptical...
Who said this?? I did, and I'll stand behind it 100%. I did not say it would fail - I said it was weaker. The shaft diameters in the transmission are smaller, as are the gear faces. Period. I DID NOT say it would fail. It will ultimately fail at a lower torque pass-through than the E-5x - but unless you abuse the hell out of it, it should do fine mated to an engine with anything less than 150 Ft/lb of torque. And the ultimate limiting factor is peak torque - not peak HP.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Who said this?? I did, and I'll stand behind it 100%. I did not say it would fail - I said it was weaker. The shaft diameters in the transmission are smaller, as are the gear faces. Period. I DID NOT say it would fail. It will ultimately fail at a lower torque pass-through than the E-5x - but unless you abuse the hell out of it, it should do fine mated to an engine with anything less than 150 Ft/lb of torque. And the ultimate limiting factor is peak torque - not peak HP.
Hmmm... I guess I just assume that weaker means it will fail... Anyway, I've heard the same thing from about 8 different people so I was just wondering. Coming from you it means more since I imagine you have had a great deal of time to play with transmissions, etc. I think I'm going to stick to my C series and see how it does... It will be a little cheaper (if it doesn't break) to do the swap that way. Have you played with the gearing at all in your car? One of my other thoughts was to try and change the ratios a little bit... I have a bad syncro in 2nd gear and I was going to fix that at the very least when I do this swap.

·
Registered
377 Posts
BethanyMark1 said:
I have the wiring harness, if you still want to do that...someone I know wants it, but they can be flaky, so let me know...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
o.k. i'm happy to see that i can find help on the board.but i still need the wiring harness for the 20 valve and i think i'm going to go supercharged but i'm going to supercharge the 4age so if u can hook it up with a price on a superchared kit and if i can get the harness thats great.i would like to build the 4age but at the same time i want a 20 valve and i see that the 20 valve is so much more easyer then anything...i live in the kendall area if u like u can hit me up at 786 709 3963 i'm up at all times of the night.can some one tell me what u guys were talking about means.. i didn't understand one thing lol well if anything hit me up guys and thanks again for the help steve....

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
MR2 VRI said:
Have you played with the gearing at all in your car? One of my other thoughts was to try and change the ratios a little bit...
The race car has a non-original final drive (ring and pinion) ratio. To the best of my knowledge, there were two alternate gearsets available for the C-50/52 - both close ratio, and both expensive (if even still available):

TRD 33030-AE901 2.438/1.944/1.600/1.364/1.167 $1446.35
TRD 33030-AEA11 2.929/2.176/1.700/1.364/1.167 $1249.48

Final drives:
TRD 41201-AEA01 3.526:1 $551.06
TRD 41201-AEA51 4.667:1 $472.74

(The list prices are from the 1990 catalog. They still may be available from TRD Japan.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no i have never play with the gearing at all and them prices man i don't have that kind of money yo i'm just looking and stuff from other people u know lol laterz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts