MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to do the exhaust on my car. I want to completely replace everything, including header with something more free flowing. I took it to a muffler shop today and got the guy to look at it and give me an idea of what I can do and what the price will be. I told him i've seen people on the forum with Flowmasters installed and he nearly shat himself and said "There is no possible way you could fit something like that on here".

So I want to see everybodys setups, the pipe sizes and prices. Ty :eek:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have been told my exhaust sounds SWEEEEEET...(i agree)
Ill scrounge up pics, but here is what it is...

T.E.D. components header
stock diameter pipe
HKS pipe
Glass pack (little teeny short one)
$30 Turbo Muffler
ending in a fancy ~3" tip (i think, maybe 3.5").
All the bends follow the stock bends.

Its burly, the glass pack keeps it quiet as well as the turbo, and it gets loud when you get on it.
It sounds deep.
I have a dyno video, and its hosted on nw_mr2's site..he can probably tell ya which file..they are generic names.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i bet that pipe straight from the manifold is loud:) wombat, did you try your exhaust first without the turbo muffler? wanna freer flowing muffler, but dont want too much noise

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I just ordered a Dynomax HD Super Turbo exhaust per Brianlp's set up. Also, someone (help) posted an awesome pic of his Flowmaster set up a week or two back--it was beautiful---do a search. I'll post a pic of mine later this weekend when I get it done.

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,796 Posts
i have just been making a new system to bolt up to my flex pipe on the 4agte, i needed to incorparate a cat convertor for my trip.
heres the old one.

and the new one i started the other day, just finished painting it and about to put it on and bake the paint. it bolts directly to the flex pipe flange the muffler did on the old system, and i can still keep my center exit tip once i do a 90 degree bend off the end of the muffler.

cost me about $50 AU$ in bends and some welding rods. cat is off my old s/c exhaust.

just one less thing the law can try to pick on.. haha

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
http://www.nwmr2.com/burienmeet/Videos/m0025.avi

9.5mb...they hit record too soon, so the dyno starts about 50sec in.
oh, listen to the tvis open up too. :)

we tried a few different setups...
1- was the mkII turbo exhaust (loud)
2- stock type bends, glass pack with coffee can honda boy muffler (loud/raspy)
3- the one i have on right now, but with glass pack and muffler switched around (loud, honda buzz)
4- I've also had a stock bend into a cat, into a borla muffler with dual outs (similar to mkII looks)..cool sound but LOUD.
5- current - this is the best so far. short of bill's v-8, i think its the best i've heard on a mkI. I'm really pleased with it. No buzzing, no bleeding ears, you can hear the engine still, as well as the TVIS open, and its super cheap to make. Even the supercharger guys were jealous.

The important part, was to have the glass pack on the drivers side..it made a HUGE noise difference if it was on the passenger side and i wouldnt recommend it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
the one in the center is the one i'll be running

this was the 1st one i ran... loud as hell... but not near as loud as running the car w/ a broken flex pipe from the stock exhaust

mark

1 - 20 of 50 Posts