MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

I need help!

2K views 50 replies 7 participants last post by  Eloke 
#1 ·
I just got a 1991 mr2 5s turboed. Ran for day. Took out the stock stereo put the aftermarket one in and car started but sputtered ever since then it hasn’t ran. Now it won’t even start. Has spark. Replaced coil, replacing plug wires today, has fuel pressure I tested it by putting a jumper wire in B+ and Fp. I don’t think it has injector pulse and I have no clue why it wouldn’t

#3 ·
It might. Quite often after doing work on the car like a stereo things go very wrong and people don't realise that messing with the stereo and doing the incorrect work will stuff up other systems in the car. Is it just a coincidence that the car now doesn't work after doing this work. I'm 99% sure it's not.

#5 ·
Yes but still, things don't just happen randomly. If it was working fine before messing with the stereo then I'd look there first. These cars are old, this one is custom. You never know what was done to make things work.

I'm working with a guy doing a GEN4 swap with this pretty messed up wiring harness. Codes keep coming up on the ECU because it's been wired poorly and missing a whole lot of stuff. I'm extremely surprised the CEL was even wired in for this swap.

#9 ·
Did you have the modifications done yourself, or did the car come to you that way? If a car has been modified, then you have no idea what was done to the wiring unless you did it all yourself. Even reputable shops often do wiring hacks. The only good bet that you have is that you disturbed one of these hacks when you put in the stereo, and that would be a good place to look. Otherwise, it is just mischance that your engine failed when you replaced the stereo.

#10 · (Edited)
Eloke - You can locate your ECU in the rear trunk. Pull back the carpet near the divers side next to the engine bay in the trunk and you'll see the ECU. There is a BIG number under Toyota on it. Give J.Harris your ECU number and he should be able to help you. It's going to have a number on it like 89661-17260 if it's the OEM ECU. See attached photo. (P.S. not trying to create controversy but reason number 1001 why not to 'turbo' a 5SFE; many postings on this here and elsewhere...yes it can be done but more to it than slapping on a turbo, limited value, save your money a do a proper swap, always do research first).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.