MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a good replacement clucth Help!!!

I am receiving my Jdm engine on feb 13th and need a new clutch to replace the old one.Because from what I hear it is the first thing to replace before the engine goes in the MR2 (and makes sense) is the clutch.

I found some on Ebay and was hopeing you guys could tell me if they are good or not or have any feedback on them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8036593874

And

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8037106333

As far as what I need: I am not a speed demon but I do like to to do I-90 runs (in sandiego cruising around the mountains) and the occasional 0-60 up the freeway on-ramp and once in a while I will go to the track and do a 1/4 mile.But over all I don't plan to upgrade the MR2 to over 250Whp.

other then that it will most likley be my new weekend cruising Car.But I still want a good clutch and the two above seem to be pretty good clutch sets at a good price.So feel free to throw down a opinion or another clutch option

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
supposedly spec makes great clutches. i will be using a spec stage 3 for my 300hp mr2, project.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont know.. their price is awsome a lot better than what the transmission shop gave me. But I dont know clucthes very well so I need help picking one

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
for 250whp and minimal racing, a spec stage 2 is really all you need. full face so engangement is less harsh for DD (though i heard spec's 6 puck isn't that harsh either) and should handle the power plus last at least as long as oem.

*can you tell i just got my spec stage 2 recently ;)* haha, and my goals are 270-280whp and just a tad over 300 next year.

·
Registered
294 Posts
what clutch would be good for ATS TD05-combo? since it makes about 300whp and clutchmasters stage 1 "limit" is said to be "up to 300whp" in ATS pages.. Meaning that it would probably be wise to buy stage 3 since it doesn?t cost a lot more..?

what other clutches are good for 300-350whp range?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
john57g said:
I am going to order one or the other tonight If anyone knows any thing or have any reviews on any of them or what to pick it would help out alot They both seem good. Any opinions Feel free to post them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=8036593874

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=8037106333
i have heard of quite a few of these ebay clutches failing -- email me for a SPEC clutch [email protected] -- they are not as cheap as ebay but have a far higher success rate ;)

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
nicomr21 said:
what clutch would be good for ATS TD05-combo? since it makes about 300whp and clutchmasters stage 1 "limit" is said to be "up to 300whp" in ATS pages.. Meaning that it would probably be wise to buy stage 3 since it doesn?t cost a lot more..?

what other clutches are good for 300-350whp range?
you could get the SPEC stage2 or the SPEC stage3 for your needs -- either will do you and only a $24 difference between the 2

·
Registered
523 Posts
Both SPEC clutches are excellent choices, but if you are on a budget and don't plan to seriously mod the car, another alternative is the stock OEM clutch. (ASIN) Quite cheap in price but excellent Toyota quality.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
they get them alot cheaper then people on this board who can sell them straight from manufacturer to make me be wary ... plus if you have enough money you can pay ebay to take off bad feedback ... I look at it this way a clutch is something that you don't want to go cheap on because if it fails you can really do some damage

I personally am going to be buying a exedy clutch off dannys (greddysetgo) groupbuy he has going on in a few weeks and I have already bought a fidanza flywheel off of him I trust both companys. My friend with a 240sx has a ACT clutch in it right now and it feels great when I drive it but I have never really heard of SPEC I only started hearing about them since I have been on this board. hope it helps and happy buying.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So from what I gather their are not great not bad but seem average . I Have not ordered one yet. I want something that is good dependable and a decent price something that will match stock or be one step above. I just spent $3000 for a 2nd gen clip and accessories so I dont have alot of money left.So $350 for a clutch just wont work right now.

But I will look for some other clucthes hopefully around $200 or so

to simplify things Are the Ebay clucthes above as good as as a OEM toyota clucth???

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
john57g said:
So from what I gather their are not great not bad but seem average . I Have not ordered one yet. I want something that is good dependable and a decent price something that will match stock or be one step above. I just spent $3000 for a 2nd gen clip and accessories so I dont have alot of money left.So $350 for a clutch just wont work right now.

to simplify things Are the Ebay clucthes above as good as as a OEM toyota clucth???
Personally I would spend the extra $150 for the clutch.
A. A good reliable clutch will keep you going for years, even abused (well not fried but you know) and you won't be stuck along side the road or track burning along in 1st gear, 6000 rpms, doing 2 MPH.

B. Removing the tranny and replacing the clutch isn't cheap, or if you are doing it yourself, quick or really all that fun.

The ACT 6 puck + Heavy Duty pressure plate was recommended to me by a friend that was running over 400 RWHP on it with no issues. When I put it in my car I was VERY surprised it felt no harder to push in at all than stock but grabbed and held like crazy (only putting down about 230 rwhp). I know of a couple other people running the same set-up, making 300 RWHP or more with no issues.
Just use a new Toyota bearing and make sure to grease the bearing and spot where the arm pivots or it'll squeak (I didn't do this and now I have a stupid squeak when I engage it).
Up to you but I certainly wouldn't want to do it again if I don't have too...(please squeak go away!)

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
john57g said:

if you don't have the $$ for a clutch i wouldn't even break the motor/trans apart -- would just install everything "as is"

$$ spent on a ebay clutch is just a waste -- get OEM if anything

·
Registered
694 Posts
i also recomend stock clutch. 250.00 bucks and your done. Thats what i did anyway and so far so good. Should hold up to 350 hp. Well see. Changing a clutch is childs play so i just got oem to see what it can do. If it dosent hold power then its crap. I never heard anyone say oem toyota is crap so-

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
^ I agree, I don't see how you can go wrong with OEM, I was in the same search as you for a while, then I thought, if my car can last this long and put this much hp/tq to the ground....why ask for more?

Anyone know where you can get deals on OEM clutches?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WoW by the last three post's I guess OEM it is :thumbup

Thanks guys

Oh....... Now where is the best place to buy a OEM Clucth???? :lol:

·
Registered
501 Posts
a brand new, non reman stock mr2 clutch is very hard. i work in a stealership so i got the parts dep to help me out and get me a brand new mr2 clutch. I have about 2000 easy miles on it, maybe i should sell it when i replace it with a spec stage 3. i doubt that the stock one will last very long at 250whp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts