MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought my first mr2 my 2nd of 3 dream cars i was way overcharged at the lot i bought it at. They said i had to pay for a safety inspection, so i did and promptly went to pick up my car. half way home the alternator fell off. So i call a friend of mine to help me get the car home. He tells me of this great mechanic he knows and that he will introduce us.he does and i happy that i get to drive my car in a week. Well this mechanic tries to charge me 450 dollars to change the alternator, i call Toyota they say it is a 300 dollar job. i tell him and he says he will drop the price to 300. i said great can you deliver the car today he said sure but it will be after dark. He calls my friend that introduced us and express a concern that i might not pay James didn't understand why till the next day.

When i got my car it was well after dark and yet i could still see how badly the front of my car was damaged. unfortunately not before i payed him. I raised Hades with him he offers to fix it .... yeah right touch my car again.
when he leaves he curses me as he drives away (i hate cowards). the next day i check out his work and not only did he damage the front bumper but also the skid plates under the car. then upon trying to finish installing the alternator it occurs to me that it doesn't fit, its the wrong frigging one. so now i am out the 300 it cost me for him to essentially hold me car for a week, plus the cost of Toyota doing the work.

So here is the lesson lads and lassies, if you don't know how to do it and you don't personally know a mechanic that is good don't take a friends advice on the mechanic. Take it to a toyota dealer untill you do find a mechanic you can trust.

And as a side bar the mechanic's name is Danny Ellis he lives in smyrna and if i have my way about it the local court system will be forcing him to buy me a 2000gt body kit. Just remember the courts serve a mighty purpose and that is "noone screws me i do the screwing!!!!"

If anyone else has been screwed at every corner with thier 2 please let me know i am not alone. ?)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
man that really sucks. luckily i haven't had that experience. i don't trust anyone with my 2, that's why i do all the work myself

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that man. I've had bad experiences with local mechanics too. Good luck getting your MR2 fixed and running! I look forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update the brand new alternator he installed doesnt even look like a reman it is chipped and stained and the tag is falling off that rat ba$tard bought it at a junk yard!!!!

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
Heck, I live in Smyrna and could have helped you with an alternator! That is a simple job. Even the $300 the dealer quoted you is a rip off! I wouldn't have charged you anything..as long as you brought the beer! :)

One thing I learned really quick. Get all the manuals on your car and learn to do stuff yourself. I didn't know squat about MR2's until I started reading and tearing into them.
Now I've done headgaskets, tranny swaps, removed engines, and I'm about to put a 3SGTE in a MKI.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well kirk i will have my car back monday, and i will want to show it off so get in touch with me monday and ill buy you a cup of coffee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts