MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to smog my 91 turbo the other day, but it didn't pass. It failed the NOX portion of the test. At 15 mph, 1977 rpm, the NOX was 975. Passing would be 799. At 25 mph, 2106 rpm, the NOX was 814. Passing would be 738. My guess is that I need a new Catalytic Converter. What do you guys think? If I do need a new cat, what kind should I get?

·
Registered
393 Posts
throw 91 octane in it drive it kinda hard on the freeway. when you get to the smog place keep your car running. you sould be fine. car needs to be at normal operating temps and the catalaic converter neeeds to get really hot.

·
Registered
694 Posts
i recomend bolting on a new cat-take test-go home and put old one back on.then do it all over again in 2 years. A new cat usually just covers up the flaws.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I olny use 91 octane gas, and I drove it hard before the smog test. About a year ago I put in a TKO downpipe which replaced my pre-cat. Do you think this has a big effect on the smog?

G

·
i jsut went nad had mine done last week and failed every part of the test, lol. the guy told me give him $100 and come back in 3 days and i will ahve passed. Sure enough i go there with 100 and am handed a paper sayin i passed. Your best bet is to just find a hook up and pay a lil $ to get it done.

·
Registered
389 Posts
NOx is created by combustion temperature, the higher the temp, the higher the NOx. So if you car isn't overheating, and you're sure your EGR system is working, you might just want to throw the main cat in there and do the test again. In Nevada we don't even test for NOx, we just inspect to see if everything is hooked up.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
hookedup96rolla said:
i jsut went nad had mine done last week and failed every part of the test, lol. the guy told me give him $100 and come back in 3 days and i will ahve passed. Sure enough i go there with 100 and am handed a paper sayin i passed. Your best bet is to just find a hook up and pay a lil $ to get it done.
I bet you that guy is making a fortune on the side... He gets caught I bet he will have to pay a fortune too. :evillaugh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do normal catalytic converters have any advantage over high-flow cats when it comes to smog tests?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
i have one that is 10" by 4" wide that i would sell. made for a turbo app. made by random tech. email me at [email protected] for pics, etc.

oh, and i passed smog!!! we have the rolling type (same as cali) and i passed with a 93 jdm! no need for the cat. i laughed when i saw the guys face after he heard the turbo from the intake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts