MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didnt get the results i was expecting. I have a 3" overboost mendrel pipe bender DP, Blitz nur spec exhaust, HKS power intake, Greddy Profec B spec II, and boosting 15psi. RESULTS CAME OUT ONLY TO BE.....180RWHP at 105mph. WUSSAP WIT DAT????????????????? i was expecting at least touching the 200 range. the guy told me that i need a timing adjustment, and i need to change my plugs to one step colder. I do understand that my plugs are BKR6E, which i was lazy to change, and i didnt kno my timing was off. But can u guys tell me if these two things that will be change actually make a bIG DIFFERENCE>?? cuz 180rwhp is a pissing asssssss result for me, and i put so much effort in tuning and fcuking wit my deuce. and what else can i do to improve the power of my 2? and back to GOOD running condition?? thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
If your car is poorly maintained (and I'm not saying that it is), you will be down on power. Are your ignition components in good shape? Cap, rotor, wires, plugs? These can make a big difference. Is the ECU pulling timing due to detonation? If so, colder plugs can help. Well, that's a start...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,238 Posts
your computer might just be pulling timing because it's sensing knock. was it hot in the room?

my car with 3" turboback and apex'i intake pushing 13 psi only dynoed at 184/194 hp/tw on a mustang dyno. I know it's more, probably closer to 200/210, but the thing about dynos is that they are for tuning, not for bragging rights. they are useful for telling you what is making or taking power on different runs, but they are not good for giving accurate numbers. sport compact car had a good article on like 7 dynos a while back, i have the issue right here. they tested a ford ranger on 2wd and 4wd dynos. the 2wd ones gave outputs of 173/195 hp/tw to 132/169, and the 4wd dynos went from 102/142 to 157/179. it's funny because several of the dyno operators told SCC that they had made their dynos read higher than they should be because people complained about low numbers.

don't feel bad buddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
timing is huge. It is more important to have the right timing than to have the right AFR when it comes to making power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
bpu @ 15psi should be around 200rwhp. check your timing and make sure it's 10 degrees below top dead center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lDeeZ lNuTz said:
bpu @ 15psi should be around 200rwhp. check your timing and make sure it's 10 degrees below top dead center.
so i should set my timing at 10 degrees? wasnt it suppose to be about 20 or 22? so which is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bubblebutt said:
If your car is poorly maintained (and I'm not saying that it is), you will be down on power. Are your ignition components in good shape? Cap, rotor, wires, plugs? These can make a big difference. Is the ECU pulling timing due to detonation? If so, colder plugs can help. Well, that's a start...

no my car is not poorly maintained. its hard to see a car i love so much to be unmaintained and cared for. i changed my cap, rotor, plug and wires, and fuel filter, and fuel pump. the problem was that i had to change my plugs asap, and i only had the BRK6E on me so i decide to use that for a lil while, and dyno day came up, and da 7Es still didnt arrive, so i was like FCUK it, ill just use the 6Es, and after running, da results came out not as i expected, cuz i kno i maintain my car more than ordinary. During the Dyno, what was noticed was my pinion from the timing. YOU CAN HEAR THAT _____. i was like damn. then he told me to adjust my timing. SO how much should i adjust the timing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
pinion? pinging? If its pinging then ya your ecu is retarding timing so you will loose power. 10 deg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,020 Posts
RWDforlife said:
i didnt get the results i was expecting. I have a 3" overboost mendrel pipe bender DP, Blitz nur spec exhaust, HKS power intake, Greddy Profec B spec II, and boosting 15psi. RESULTS CAME OUT ONLY TO BE.....180RWHP at 105mph. WUSSAP WIT DAT????????????????? i was expecting at least touching the 200 range. the guy told me that i need a timing adjustment, and i need to change my plugs to one step colder. I do understand that my plugs are BKR6E, which i was lazy to change, and i didnt kno my timing was off. But can u guys tell me if these two things that will be change actually make a bIG DIFFERENCE>?? cuz 180rwhp is a pissing asssssss result for me, and i put so much effort in tuning and fcuking wit my deuce. and what else can i do to improve the power of my 2? and back to GOOD running condition?? thanx
bring your car to www.chicoraceworks.com -- for $25 i'll have that sucker screaming ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he used the radar gun thing, while he had the diagnostic paper clip thingy connected, and da car on. and he adjusted some place near the distributor cap. i can't exactly remember how he did it, but this is the main thing i remembered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
bentheswift said:
it's funny because several of the dyno operators told SCC that they had made their dynos read higher than they should be because people complained about low numbers.

don't feel bad buddy.
:beer: :furious: :headbang: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SinCityMR2 said:
The radar gun, hahahahaha, that's soooo funny. It's a timing light bro.
yea the radar gun buddy, im sorry man, i dunno the name for it. thanx for letting me kno man, and making fun of me. veRy funny. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
sleeperneon676 said:
He adjusted the timing on a stock engine? (Dealing with timing control) I didn't know you could do that...
you can adjust base timing. You can advance and retard it by clocking(turning) the distributor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so when we put on the new distrubutor, and the cap and rotor, how much will i kno to turn or put the distributor??? how much will i kno to turn it to the right setting???
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top