MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just a few hours ago, I discovered something I no longer want. What is you ask, well it is More acceleration. My brother in law just scared the pants off of me. I always thought that my goal with my car was more acceleration. I just got all I will ever need. My brother in law gave me a test ride in his new car, let me just say that I have never ever gone that fast in my life. I literally (spelling) feared for my life he was accelerating so fast. We were going about 30-40 mph and he nailed it in second gear, the car immediately went sideways and then corrected to accelerate at what seemed like warp speed. I do not know how fast, but I would estimate about 90-100. It was not the speed, it was the acceleration that scared my life. He said it had about 375 hp, but I would believe much more. But suffice it to say that I do not want that much acceleration ever again. Yes call me chicken, but I am alive after pleading for my life. That's all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So what kind of car is it? It can't possibly be faster than the 540whp R32 Skyline GTR that I rode in. He had an 11 second flat time slip, but bogged it off the line on that run. I have an in-car video of him going 0-100 in just over six seconds.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Haha, you should try my uncles 600hp Dodge Sattelite, low 11's, and with a 4 speed. Very fast car, punch it in 2nd, and you can't put your hand on the dash it pins you back so hard. Fast cars are usually funner to drive then be driven in, so don't worry about making yours fast!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I think i'd like that also... ^
Good goal there Paul.

I'll be honest, the best accelleration i've ever felt, and the closest to bike-territory, is the wonderful secret of AWD. I can punch it in any RWD'er and it goes, and i'm sure with tons of HP it would haul like no other. But nothing feels quite the same as a fast AWD'er. The instant accelleration and full traction is so much more amazing. Closer to the whole hand-of-god-shoving-your-car kinda thing. Hence, why i own a Subaru ;) I have no doubts that any of my mr2's will ever be able to outrun it, and absolutely never off the line.

And of course, Scott, we're all waiting to find out what this miracle 375hp car is?

·
20v Super Two
5,028 Posts
neko said:
Good goal there Paul.

I'll be honest, the best accelleration i've ever felt, and the closest to bike-territory, is the wonderful secret of AWD. I can punch it in any RWD'er and it goes, and i'm sure with tons of HP it would haul like no other. But nothing feels quite the same as a fast AWD'er. The instant accelleration and full traction is so much more amazing. Closer to the whole hand-of-god-shoving-your-car kinda thing. Hence, why i own a Subaru ;) I have no doubts that any of my mr2's will ever be able to outrun it, and absolutely never off the line.

And of course, Scott, we're all waiting to find out what this miracle 375hp car is?
Agreed. I was in an EVO 8 and it just blew me away how fierce the acceleration was.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
my brother once stuck 2 $100 dollar bills in the crack of the dash in his 91 300zxTT. we were just getting on the freeway, and he downshifted from 4th to 2nd, told me that if i could reach the money, i could have it. i never got that money once he hit the throttle.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
toymdngn said:
my brother once stuck 2 $100 dollar bills in the crack of the dash in his 91 300zxTT. we were just getting on the freeway, and he downshifted from 4th to 2nd, told me that if i could reach the money, i could have it. i never got that money once he hit the throttle.
This is a great story, but the physics behind it are pretty shady. Unless you are a weakling.
Can you bench press a 15 lb weight in one hand? I hope so.
Was he pulling 3 gs? I doubt it.
You should have been able to stick your arm out and grab it, unless you couldn't normally reach the dash. I drove a modfified 300zx tt for some time. It was a 12 second car and loads of fun, but it did not defy the laws of physics. It was a big heavy car and only had so much tire.

·
Registered
302 Posts
well i had the lucky experience of feeling it 3 times.
1.) 500whp mr2T from second to fourth.
2.) 478whp eclipse gs-t
3.) riding shotgun on a hayabusa turbo
Remember these numbers have nothing to do with how fast each was just when i had the chance to ride. I was always the passenger in all of these cars so i don't know what it would've been like to drive one. As for the Busa i never want to ride again. The whole time that i was riding it i was thinking gosh i should've worn that helmet because if we crash and die it's my fault for not wearing the helmet. But hey it was fun though.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
neko said:
Good goal there Paul.

I was gunna guess modded WRX, STI, or EVO.

·
Registered
630 Posts
scottms: I agree with you: there is no need to add horsepower just to add horsepower. There are too many pseudo-racers on the street that the likelihood of your death has increased.

You should determine what is the level of horsepower you as an individual need in order to gain the most satisfaction from your car. In my case, I think just enough horsepower to spin the drive wheels from the exit of one turn until I hit the brakes for the entry into the next turn is just about right.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
165 in a 14 mile. Scared the living crap out of me. Just got out of basic training in 1989. Was in Ohio with my dad and my uncle was tuning his front engine rail at the strip. I got to run it down the track seversl time. Started at about 100mph and worked my way up. Dad and uncle warned not to open it up. B.S., I was a badass just out of basic. I don't remember pulling the chute. My dad said all he heard when he got odwn to the other end of the track was me yelling "get me the F$%k out of here" He said I had a death grip on the little 2 sided wheel, was shaking, and was ghost white. I dodn't know how top fuel guys do it at over 330mph.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brother in Law's car

It was a 2001 or 2004 corvette with a six speed. I will confirm what year tomorrow. He said the only mode was a K&N filter. My Son rode in it today and he said that at red line it was only going about 70 MPH in second. He also said that it was fast, but not as fast as I had made out. He said it pulled, but unlike most V8's it did not stop pulling. Just thought I would give you ladies and gentlemen an update. Thank you for the comments.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
scottms said:
It was a 2001 or 2004 corvette with a six speed.
Now just think what would happen if chevy would move give the corvette some modern technology... like overhead cams or four valves per cylinder. but don't get me started on how dumb it is.

Two of my friends have bought 5th-gen corvettes in the past few months. They are a lot more fun than I thought they would be.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
70 at the top of 2nd?
i think my mk1 does about 65 at the top of 2nd. just takes a bit longer to get there than the vette. ;)

I've thought about a 5th gen vette also. Best looks ever IMHO (c6's haven't caught on to me yet, but god they're even faster...) and plenty of power once i strap either a S/C or a SLP head kit on (either should sit the vette in the 500+hp range). Then i can scare myself and be happy like Scott. Or just wrangle myself a test drive in a new C6 Z06.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.