MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having finally reached the exasperation stage while trying to build an inexpensive aftermarket gauge package for La Bala, (inexpensive and gauges don't mix... :() I finally decided to look at the original gauge cluster again, but "out of the box" so to speak!

I pulled the whole thing apart, and seeing that the guages are individual items, I cut the cluster to pieces. The speedo and tacho will be mounted in front of the steering wheel. The other 4 guages will be installed stacked as a quad in the center console. Now the trick is to find a decent way to build the gauge bezels. Anyone have some suggestions for creating nice professional looking bezels?

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my concept:

I scanned the original gauges and layed them out in photoshop, then built the new faces and bezel on top of it. That way I know that it's actually buildable using my existing gauges.

Here are the original gauges in place before the artwork was created above them.

I'll print the faces out on a color laser using 11x17 transparency. That will be glued onto a piece of thin perspex with clear 3M spray adhesive. Any areas that need to be see-through will be masked off, and then the back of the perspex will be painted white. Blue LEDs shining from inside the cluster will illuminate through the white/clear areas for a cool blue nightime glow.... :cool:

Later,

Graber

·
Registered
749 Posts
Wow Steve, very nice! I was trying to think of a good way to make them work, but couldn't. Obviously what you came up with is quite nice. Very Porsche. I still think I'll end up with something along the lines of a Stack display, but considering the price difference, something like this seems like a pretty good alternate option.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BL/TZ said:
I was toying with the idea of building my own Stack style cluster. I was thinking about purchasing an Autometer style tach, then running the display that Megasquirt offers below it.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mv/megaview.html

-Andy_S
That's a fine idea. It wouldn't be that hard to make. You'll still have to add high-beam and turn signal lights somewhere on the dash, as well as fuel level and oil pressure.

I have an Autometer Phantom Monster 5" Tach with shift light that I can sell to you for what I paid on ebay... Mail me off-list if interested. :D

Graber

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^LOL - They will be painted to cover up their humble origins! :)

Graber

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a mockup. The gauge backgrounds will not be green. They will be grey. Color Laser proof mounted on cardboard behind the bezel rings I bought on ebay and cut up. Still needs some arranging to get perfect placement.

Graber

·
Registered
749 Posts
Wow, that looks VERY good. Amazing it was originally an MKI cluster. Looks even better than the concept images and it should look very nice in grey. So, did you get a new camera then?

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Pat. Yep, my new camera is a keeper. Sony DSC-W1. I love that thing. A tad bit larger than my Canon S100, but the image quality is so superior there is no comparison. And just wait till you see the videos. Like a Camcorder! wow.

Yellow Gauge faces... hmm. That would be very sporty. But I am not sure if it's too racy for my old bones. :D I have always preferred the understated color combinations... But yellow would be cool. What I can do is make a whole bunch of samples and create a poll...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts